Press Officer for Elections and Campaigns
Washington, DC /
Office of Senior Vice President, Communications & Culture (CNC) – Media /
Full Time - Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a Press Officer for Elections & Campaigns. This job reports to the Director of Federal Advocacy Media in the Communications and Culture department of PPFA. The department provides strategic communications guidance, support and tactics to PPFA and Planned Parenthood affiliates.
Purpose : Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to join as a Press Officer for Elections and Campaigns. Reporting directly to the Director of Federal Advocacy Media and the Communications Manager for Elections & Campaigns, the Press Officer would execute communications and media strategies around the organization’s political and policy priorities, including elections and access to care at Planned Parenthood, access to safe, legal abortion and access to reproductive health care. They would strategically respond to breaking news and provide communications support to the organization’s political and organizing work, including an emphasis on affiliate needs and support. They would leverage earned media in support of Planned Parenthood’s public policy goals, as well as the electoral activities of its PAC.
Employee can be located in DC or NY
- Pitch stories, create media materials, and shape media narrative in support of Planned Parenthood’s political, policy, and electoral goals.
- Work closely with political and policy reporters, building deep relationships.
- Work closely with the Planned Parenthood Votes communications team, in partnership with affiliate staff, on developing media strategies and tactics for core electoral targets and states
- Provides communications counsel and training for affiliate staff and leadership as needed.
- Coordinate with opposition research, policy teams, and organizing and electoral teams.
- Identify and create tools and trainings to resource and build skills for affiliate communications staff.
- Through consistent outreach, stay apprised of upcoming articles or stories that reporters are working on that cover the reproductive rights and electoral issues.
- Through consistent outreach, ensure that Planned Parenthood is considered a “must have” source for our issues.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood is seen as an influential player within the political and electoral spheres. Work with team to build strategies to elevate key national and affiliate staff, volunteers, and supporters.
- Draft various media materials, including press releases, advisories, talking points, Letters to the Editor, and Op-eds.
- Completes special projects as assigned and required.
- Must be a team player, possess a sense of humor, and remain calm under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work with multiple departments and teams collaboratively to accomplish desired goals
- Strongly committed to the mission of Planned Parenthood.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- 2 years of experience, preferably working directly with regional and national media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers.
- Experience on elections or campaigns strongly preferred, with a demonstrated ability to pitch stories proactively and respond to intense, fast moving developments.
- Must write and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Familiar with building relationships with members of national and local press and extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast).
- Strong understanding of reproductive health issues and state and local political and governmental processes, including legislative and policy issues.
- Must be a team player, possess a sense of humor, and remain calm under pressure. Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.