Communications Manager for Elections and Campaigns
Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to join as a Communications Manager for Elections and Campaigns. Reporting directly to the Director of Federal Advocacy Media, the Manager would serve as lead for the communications and media strategies around the organization’s political and electoral priorities, including campaign communication, local and national electoral communications plans, and driving the narrative around access to care at Planned Parenthood, access to safe, legal abortion and access to reproductive health care throughout election cycles. They would strategically respond to breaking news and provide communications support to the organization’s political and organizing work, including affiliate support. They would leverage earned media in support of Planned Parenthood’s public policy goals, as well as the electoral activities of its PAC or Action Fund.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage day-to-day media and communications work around elections and campaigns.
- Along with the Regional Campaigns Director, work with Planned Parenthood affiliates in key states to craft (and execute where appropriate) full communications plans around federal and local elections.
- Manage a national communications plan and narrative for Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s electoral and campaigns work, with a particular focus on reproductive health and rights including abortion access.
- Manage rapid response in elections and campaigns—oversee creation of key materials, including opposition and research bullets and talking points, come up with creative plans for bracketing and driving the narrative, take point for response to key news stories.
- Ensure team is monitoring and updating key PPFA staff on political developments.
- Pitch stories, create media materials, and shape media narrative in support of Planned Parenthood’s political, policy, and electoral goals.
- Ensure that Planned Parenthood is considered a “must have” source for journalists covering our issues.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood is seen as an influential player within the political and policy spheres. Work with team to build strategies to elevate key staff people’s profiles in influential spaces.
- Serve as main point of contact for either campaign comms staff or IE group’s comms staff.
- Ensure that Planned Parenthood, reproductive health, and access to abortion are seen as winning issues in the 2020 election.
- Identify and create tools and training to resource and build skills for affiliate communications staff.
- Draft various media materials including press releases, advisories, letters to the editor, and op-eds.
- When necessary, work in the field to achieve campaign goals.
- Completes special projects as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- At least 4 years of communications experience, preferably working directly with regional and national media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers.
- Experience on elections or campaigns required.
- Experience with advocacy fights and health care policy issues preferred.
- Must write and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Familiar with building relationships with members of national press and extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast).
- Strong understanding of reproductive health issues and state and local political and governmental processes, including legislative and policy issues.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Must be a team player, possess a sense of humor, and must remain calm under pressure.
- Spanish language fluency is preferred
- Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.