Manager, Data Analytics, FAB
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Data Strategy, Analytics & Gov. /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seek a dynamic and collaborative Manager - Data Analytics for its Future of Abortion Access (FAB) program. This job reports to the Director, Data Analytics in the Data Strategy, Analytics, and Governance (DSAG) department at PPFA. The DSAG team enables data-driven decision making through high quality data, analysis, and tools.
- The Manager contributes to Planned Parenthood’s mission by leading the collection and use of data to understand the impact of changes in access to abortion services and programs. As a member of PPFA’s DSAG team, the Manager will produce targeted analyses and tools for Planned Parenthood’s national office and affiliate stakeholders related to abortion access and services. They will manage a full reporting lifecycle including design, development, testing, documentation, and maintenance of complex analyses and data visualizations. The role will also convene cross-disciplinary groups to understand how the collection and use of critical abortion-related data can be streamlined across the Federation. To do this, the Manager will establish strong relationships with partners and provide exemplary customer service by understanding stakeholder needs and developing targeted, sustainable data solutions. As a systems thinker, the Manager will be able to understand, create, and improve interdependent processes that relate to data.
- The Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Lead the FAB data collection and analysis workstream, including convening stakeholders and subject matter experts, executing workstream deliverables, and escalating barriers as they arise to FAB and DSAG leadership
- Project manage the FAB data collection and analysis workstream, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality analytic products
- Lead the full lifecycle of FAB-related analytics, including conceptual framing/design, development, testing, documentation, dissemination, and maintenance/troubleshooting of analyses, reports, and data visualizations
- Support analytic needs of other FAB-related workstreams as they arise
- Convene stakeholders from across the Federation (PPFA, affiliates, and partner organizations) to conceive, plan, and execute analyses related to abortion service delivery and access
- Design, develop, test, document, and maintain complex reports and data visualizations using analytical/BI tools such as Tableau Desktop and Esri ArcGIS
- Consult with PPFA national office departments and Planned Parenthood affiliates on data collection, analysis, and reporting to inform FAB-related analyses; provide subject matter expertise and technical assistance to create and improve data practices, analyses, and tools
- Analyze data to discern trends and provide recommendations to drive decision-making
- Draft and deliver reports/presentations to Planned Parenthood national office departments and affiliate organizations
- Support ad-hoc data requests from colleagues across the Federation
- Participate in quality assurance (QA) processes to ensure data products are high quality
- Document data products and systems: author wiki articles and internal process documents; develop user-facing guides (written and video)
- Effectively manage program/project files (organize, archive) in alignment with DSAG’s knowledge management practices
- Demonstrate intercultural competence and ensure all work products consider the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color and individuals with different gender identities and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Pursue relevant proficiencies/certifications where determined by business needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- The Manager’s primary portfolio will focus on the FAB data collection and analysis workstream, and the role requires strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for helping others collect, leverage, and interpret data. The manager may also support other related programs/projects within DSAG’s workplan. The Manager will consult regularly with end-users at the PPFA National Office and Planned Parenthood affiliates to develop targeted data solutions that inform operational and strategic decision-making. This role will provide ongoing technical support, education, and mentorship on data tools, analytic methods, and best practices.
- This position requires a keen ability and desire to communicate, including attending and presenting at cross-divisional meetings/webinars. The Manager will regularly interact with leadership across the Federation and must be able to effectively distill complex information to executive audiences. Due to the consultative nature of the role, the Manager must have exemplary customer service skills, a positive “can do” attitude, and a demonstrated track record directly helping people design and implement data products and systems. The Manager will have familiarity and experience working with the population Planned Parenthood serves, including people of different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, people with different gender identities and individuals with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- At least 3-5 years of experience in healthcare analysis/business intelligence, public health, statistics, or related area required
- High technical proficiency with Tableau Desktop required, including experience with:
- Designing, developing, testing, and complex reports, dashboards, and data visualizations
- Developing and publishing Tableau data sources using different data connectors
- Troubleshooting, optimizing, and maintaining complex reports and dashboards, including those developed by others
- At least one Tableau Desktop certification or willingness to become certified within three months of date of hire
- Experience performing geospatial analysis using Esri ArcGIS or other similar mapping software required
- Advanced Microsoft Excel proficiency required
- Experience developing written technical documentation required
- Experience with healthcare data, including writing complex SQL reports using electronic health records (EHR) reporting databases (NextGen, Epic Clarity/Caboodle, Athena, eCW), required
- Technical proficiency using SQL and T-SQL to develop complex reports required, including experience with:
- Developing database objects (tables, views, and stored procedures)
- Microsoft SQL Server and Management Studio and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Experience with Python or R for statistical analysis and applications highly preferred
- Experience with Tableau Server (administration and governance) and Tableau Prep (data cleansing, transformation) preferred
- Proficiency with G-Suite and Microsoft Office suite required; experience with Asana or similar project management tool strongly preferred
- Experience in disaggregating data and considering the impacts on multiple communities, including communities of color, in technical analysis required
- Experience working both independently and in coordination with multiple teams required
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills with keen attention to detail and grammar (English fluency) required; ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments required
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred; combination of professional experience and skills may be considered in lieu of formal/traditional education
- 0-25% (domestic)
Starting Salary: 75k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer