Development Writer, Philanthropic Communications
New York, NY
Development – Foundations Relations & Donor Communications
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) needs a dynamic writer focused on fundraising efforts. Reporting to the Director, Philanthropic Communications, the development writer supports the creation of high-quality, timely, and inspiring copy that demonstrate the need for and impact of donor support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Approach all writing with a Racial, Equity, and Inclusion (REI) lens.
- Highlight and create messaging for key news stories and world events that affect sexual and reproductive health care for the development division’s frontline fundraisers.
- Write talking points on major PPFA programs and launches to support frontline fundraisers.
- Develop copy for new donor stewardship materials.
- Create development-specific tone and voice style guides.
- Develop and present trainings for development teams.
- Draft copy and structure for donor conversation guides for key and upcoming events or major sexual and reproductive health care topics.
- Proactively identify and recommend content for donor emails.
- Draft and manage the review process of planned and breaking news emails.
- Draft talking points and messaging for gift officers on breaking news, organizational priorities, and key topics of interest to donors.
- Write talking points and speeches for the Chief Development Officer, Planned Parenthood’s Board Chair, and other key leaders.
- Coordinate donor briefing calls, including identifying topics and speakers, scripting talking points, and coaching speakers, and writing a summary of each call.
- Write and organize the editorial process of 2-3 appeal letters per year for major donors.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 3+ years of writing experience and a bachelor’s degree in a related field. A master’s degree is preferred but not required.
- Direct experience with fundraising.
- Has professional experience in writing, including journalism or fundraising.
- Superb writing and editing skills with advanced knowledge of English grammar and usage; the ability to adapt, adhere, and edit according to detailed organizational style and messaging; deftly translate complex material for target audiences; communicate seamlessly with graphic designers; and provide valuable feedback.
- Excellent communicator and project manager.
- Strong command of both Windows and MacOS, Google Platforms, Microsoft Office programs.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Agile and solutions-orientated.
- Excited to learn.
- Ability to stay calm and positive during demanding periods of crisis communications.
- Past experience with a women's health and rights organization is not required, but a passion for Planned Parenthood's mission is a necessity.
- A team player who can build alliances across many teams and who possesses diplomacy, finesse, and intuition.
- Tenacity, a positive attitude, a commitment to customer service, and a good sense of humor are essential.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.