Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Legislative Affairs
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Government Relations department seeks a dynamic and effective a Legislative Manager to drive the Federation’s Hill engagement representing our position before Congress on a wide array of issues before the House and Senate judiciary committees. Reporting to the National Director of Legislative Affairs, the chosen candidate will help identify and advance the policy positions of Planned Parenthood Federation of America before the U.S. Congress by furthering PPPFA’s goals of access to reproductive health care for women and families. The Legislative Manager will maintain contact with key staffers, members of congress and the administration and serve as a resource for PPFA affiliates and staff by providing information and support on federal legislation and policy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the National Director of Legislative Affairs, formulate and implement legislative strategy to carry out PPFA’s goals regarding a wide array of constitutional and civil rights and strategy so members of Congress and the Administration are informed and aware of PPFA’s positions on issues.
- Lobbies members of Congress and their staff, in assigned subject areas, on legislation and serves as PPFA’s “voice on the Hill” to ensure Congress is informed and aware of PPFA’s message and issue priorities to influence the outcome of federal legislation and federal policies.
- Manages a complex legislative portfolio, leading campaigns that leverage assets and resources from across the national office in service of passing supportive or blocking harmful federal legislation. Leads cross-departmental working groups, calls, and meetings to create alignment and coordination across teams.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with targeted contacts in legislative and executive branches to educate them and respond to information requests on PPFA’s positions and priorities regarding reproductive health and related issues.
- Monitors legislative development and activities in Congress and the Administration and stays abreast of recent issues in assigned subject areas. Responsible for research and drafting educational materials for Congressional staff, including the House and Senate Judiciary Committee staff such as letters, floor statements, legislation and amendments, fact sheets, and talking points.
- Provide PPFA affiliates and staff with the latest information regarding legislative activity and coordinate efforts to mobilize activities in support of PPFA policy positions. Draft prep materials such as talking points, briefs, and bill synopsis, etc for senior leadership including the VP of Government Relations; SVP of Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy; and the President of Planned Parenthood.
- Communicates, coordinates, and strategizes with coalition partners, represents PPFA and PPFA’s positions in coalition meetings and works to develop consensus on issues in order to be most effective in lobbying activities.
- Prepare detailed Congressional target lists to identify members of Congress who need additional information lobbying and grassroots activities. Track members position on domestic policy issues and monitor movement.
- Collaborate with other PPFA departments to mobilize grassroots activities, develop messages and achieve desired goals.
- Completes special projects as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree is required. JD preferred.
- 7 years of directly related experience lobbying the government (federal legislative branch preferred) and project management expertise.
- Outstanding communication skills (written, spoken, presentation).
- Current contacts and relationships with Hill Staff.
- Extensive knowledge of women’s health and reproductive rights issues. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize appropriately. Able to effectively balance and execute against competing priorities whilst maintain outstanding work product(s).
- Experience advocating for public policies related to sexual and/or reproductive health or complementary policy analysis preferred.
- Preferred areas of expertise include health care, appropriations, oversight, democracy reform, labor, sex education, etc.
- Experience working in a complex federation style or matrixed organization.
- A blend of profit and non-profit environments would be preferred but not required.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Comfortable in ambiguity; able to create clarity and understanding.
- Experienced in conflict management and getting to “yes” in a collaborative, consensus driven style.
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment; a nimble and flexible style.
- A direct and open style; able to effectively influence for positive outcomes and results.
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion.
- Deep appreciation for mission of PPFA.
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence.
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.