Senior Specialist, Emergency Preparedness
New York, NY
Health Care – Emergency Preparedness and Response
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks an Emergency Preparedness Senor Specialist reporting to the National Director of Emergency Preparedness & Response. The Senior Specialist will play a critical role in building preparedness plans and trainings for PPFA, and coordinating specific projects for contingency planning efforts related to the Future of Abortion Access. This work will help position PPFA to more nimbly respond to a range of crises. It will include improving the standard Incident Command System (ICS) for PPFA, enhancing protocols for recurring incidents, and compiling national best practices into plans for use nationally, including for incidents like hurricanes and earthquakes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Support Future of Abortion Access contingency planning working with many internal and external stakeholders to address current abortion deserts and ensure abortion access in light of recent legislative threats.
- Coordinate planning around specific sub-areas around the Future of Abortion Access using emergency management planning best practices.
- Coordinate the ongoing development of the Incident Command System (ICS) for the Planned Parenthood National Office, which reflects its key functions in emergencies and is used to respond to emergencies across hazard types.
- Support the enhancement of a structured emergency preparedness training and exercise program that supports Planned Parenthood staff at the National Office and around the country.
- Compile best practices from around the country to create a suite of emergency preparedness tools useful to Planned Parenthood affiliates and develop training based on those tools.
- Work with partners throughout the Federation, conduct a Hazard Vulnerability Analysis (HVA) to assess and prioritize most likely future threats.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop protocols for the most commonly occurring crises.
- Review and evaluate existing programs, services, policies and procedures; make recommendations when necessary to facilitate improved outcomes.
- Assess status of Continuity of Operations planning across the Federation and propose and implement recommendations to strengthen what currently exists, leading to the building out of a full Continuity of Operations plan for the National Office.
- Remain current on emergency management preparedness methods and best practices, including industry, federal, regional, and local regulations, standards, and guidance
- Author protocols, conference presentations/abstracts, and publications, as needed.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public health, disaster management, emergency preparedness/administration, public administration,or a related field or equivalent experience.
- At least two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following area(s): emergency preparedness planning/management, emergency medical services, fire or public safety, law enforcement, homeland security, public health, mental health, environmental/occupational health and safety or a related specialized area.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and project management skills required.
- Must have demonstrated capability in developing a collaborative approach to program development, establishing policies and procedures in a multi-stakeholder environment.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects in a highly-matrixed environment.
- Seasoned collaborator—able to work effectively across multiple divisions internally, soliciting feedback and input from significant stakeholder groups nationally
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline — ‘Care. No matter what.’ as it applies to how we work with our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- Unflappable with excellent interpersonal skills, building strong and effective partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong communications skills – both verbal and written.
- Exceptional attention to detail while able to multi-task.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.