Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Litigation & Law
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Public Policy Litigation & Law Department (PPL&L) of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) conducts impact litigation in state and federal courts across the country, and has been lead or co-counsel in most of the major reproductive rights cases of the past thirty years. PPFA also provides strategic legal advice on legislation being considered in Congress and state legislatures and on regulatory issues at the national, state, and local levels.
PPL&L seeks a dynamic and effective Policy Counsel to assist in the analysis and development of state legislation and policies that impacts reproductive rights, sexual and reproductive health care, and the ability of Planned Parenthood affiliates to deliver health care services.
This position will be based out of our NY/DC office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing in-depth analysis of state legislation and providing guidance to affiliates on state and local legislation, regulations, and other policies that impact reproductive health and rights, with a specific emphasis on restrictions that impact Planned Parenthood’s mission.
- The Policy Counsel will work with affiliate public affairs staff to develop legislative strategies to defeat legislation and promote proactive policies that protect and expand access to reproductive health care. The position works across multiple divisions within the organization and with PPFA’s 49 affiliates across the country.
- The Policy Counsel will also work with other organizations and national coalitions to assist in the development of long and short-term strategies to defeat legislation and promote proactive measures in the states. The Policy Counsel should thrive in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment and enjoy working with others to solve complex policy problems impacting Planned Parenthood and our patients.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- J.D. required
- Outstanding credentials and at least 3 years of experience in legislative or policy work
- Exceptional ability to conduct legal research and analysis
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines under pressure
- Passion for reproductive health care and PPFA’s mission
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.