Director, Enterprise Risk Management
New York, NY /
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Emergency Preparedness and Response /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a Director of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) in the Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) department to enhance and oversee the Enterprise Risk Management infrastructure of the organization. This job reports to the National Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response. The core function of the EPR department is to prepare the organization for emergencies ranging from natural disasters to legal restrictions in service provision. The EPR department is within the Public Health & Strategic Operations Division (PHSO).
- The Director will lead and innovate the process to identify, evaluate, mitigate, and monitor the company's operational and strategic risk. The Director will convene and coordinate a risk management committee made up of PPFA senior staff and a broader group of risk coordinators throughout PPFA. The position will develop Enterprise Risk Management tools, practices, and policies to analyze and report enterprise risks to stakeholders, and will provide leadership throughout PPFA to address those risks.
- Enhance ERM framework and reporting structure of framework
- Coordinate with senior leadership and project steering committee on identifying priority risk register and action plans
- Lead and administer regular risk assessments across PPFA and the Federation.
- Administer efforts throughout PPFA to mitigate priority risks discovered during the risk assessment process.
- Manage a group of risk and preparedness stakeholders throughout the national office in the mitigation of operational risk and the development of key actions plans or policies.
- Coordinate a unified approach to enterprise risk management through convening stakeholders involved in compliance, audit, insurance and other keys functions to manage ongoing organizational risks.
- Manage all meetings, agendas and presentation materials for ERM Committees
- Develop and implement staff risk trainings for the national office in order to create a culture of risk throughout all PPFA staff.
- Develop Enterprise Risk Management tools, practices, and policies to analyze and report enterprise risks to stakeholders.
- Oversee development of communication and staff engagement tools for the Enterprise Risk Management function through intranet page, blog, seminars, and trainings.
- Demonstrate intercultural competence and ensure all work products consider the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color and individuals with different gender identities and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- The Director will work extensively with staff at PPFA and across the Federation. S/he should have the ability to build understanding and engagement about risk with National Office colleagues, and to create effective working relationships with various external and internal stakeholders, including team members, senior leadership and board members
- S/he should have familiarity and experience working with the population Planned Parenthood serves, including people of different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, people with different gender identities and individuals with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in risk-related areas, including operations, finance, insurance, within a highly risk-driven environment.
- Knowledge of the risk management industry, including industry trends, industry risks, financial profiles, common practices, etc.
- Knowledge of current research in the risk management and insurance industries
- Ability to generate and execute on creative ideas to integrate the enterprise risk, emergency preparedness and compliance functions into a cohesive and comprehensive program
- Effective and efficient time management skills with the ability to manage competing deadlines on various projects, to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to manage interruptions
- Excellent questioning skills to discover issues and ability to identify issues and opportunities
- Ability to apply knowledge, deploy resources, focus efforts and gain consensus to address issues and capitalize on opportunities
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to lead others in achieving goals, objectives and deadlines on project work
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to tailor content, presentation and language to various audiences
- Strong Microsoft Office and Google Apps skills, with particular attention to Excel/Sheets and PowerPoint/Slides skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability in enterprise risk contexts.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects in a highly-matrixed environment.
- Seasoned collaborator—able to work effectively across multiple divisions internally, soliciting feedback and input from significant stakeholder groups nationally
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline — ‘Care. No matter what.’ as it applies to how we work with our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- Unflappable with excellent interpersonal skills, building strong and effective partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong communications skills – both verbal and written - with the ability to speak to a diverse audience.
- Exceptional attention to detail while able to multitask.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities.
Starting Salary: $110k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer