Associate Director, Public Policy
Washington, DC /
Office of the Senior Vice President, Policy Campaigns & Advocacy (PCA) – Public Policy /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
PPFA seeks a driven, organized, and effective individual to oversee critical elements of PPFA’s
policy portfolio, to spearhead team-wide work around prioritizing and adhering to goals and execution plans, and to develop tools and resources to support strategic plans related to policy
goals. Reporting to the Director of Public Policy, the Associate Director will help manage work related to coverage and access issues that are essential to Planned Parenthood affiliates’ ability to provide quality health care to communities across the country. Drawing on issue area expertise and a proactive orientation, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing efforts to secure key policy wins and defend access to reproductive health care.
The successful candidate will have significant policy and advocacy expertise in funding streams,
Medicaid, superb writing and editing skills, and the ability to adeptly identify and overcome barriers to achieving goals. The ability to connect and manage intersections of policy and law is a must.
- Assist the Director with administrative and management activities as needed.
- Effectively grow issue area expertise and ability to consistently and confidently anticipate and respond to affiliate requests for policy support.
- Represent PPFA with coalition partners, efficiently navigate organizational partnership opportunities as well as take part in public speaking opportunities on panels related to policy issues.
- Grow and manage relationships with administration officials and serve as a key leader in achieving important policy goals at the national and level.
- Work with the Director to translate long-term vision and ideas into achievable goals and to develop related strategies and processes for accountability around multi-faceted, complex projects.
- Facilitate strong working relationships with other departments and divisions within the organization, as a part of supporting existing work and identifying new areas of collaboration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- JD or MPH/MPP/MPA degree required
- Minimum of 7 years of policy-related work experience
- Expertise in the Medicaid program or drug pricing a must
- Exceptional analytical, writing, and editing skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strategic mindset with flexibility to make adjustments to program structure and goals
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Passion for health care and PPFA’s mission
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- 10% or less domestic travel
Starting Salary: 90k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer