New York, NY
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Litigation & Law
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Public Policy Litigation & Law Department of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) conducts impact litigation in state and federal courts across the country, and provides legal advice to PPFA and Planned Parenthood affiliates about pending legislation, regulatory matters, and activities of those opposed to Planned Parenthood that interfere with our ability to provide comprehensive reproductive healthcare, at the national, state, and local levels.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Paralegal. This is a two-year rotating position. Typical past paralegals have been recent college graduates interested in gaining work experience before applying to law or graduate school or other public policy positions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support for attorneys conducting reproductive rights litigation and policy work including: legal and factual research using Westlaw, academic resources, and the Internet; cite- checking and copy-editing briefs; assisting in production and service of filings; writing and editing non-legal documents describing developments in the area of reproductive rights law; and responding to requests for information.
- Perform various administrative tasks including: faxing, copying, filing, and assisting in travel and meeting arrangements.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree; superior research, writing and editing skills (knowledge of Westlaw preferred but not required; we will train as needed).
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Ability to learn complex tasks and concepts quickly.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to accurately and succinctly impart knowledge and skills to others; attention to detail; initiative; resourcefulness.
- Standard PPFA Benefits
- Salary range: $55K
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.