Temporary Application Security Architect
Operations – Information Security
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a dynamic and effective Application Security Architect to join our team to define, document, and design security systems in order to enable business and technology initiatives.
- We’re looking for a passionate and resilient team member who doesn’t mind unpacking problems to find root causes, is comfortable anticipating risks, and shows the initiative to seek the most interesting and diverse challenges that come with developing software at scale.
- Provide guidance and subject matter expertise in infrastructure, application & data security to development teams
- Drive to define and enforce cross-organization standard methodologies for improving performance, and security compliance.
- Partner with engineering and product teams to design, develop, and implement security solutions to identify and close security gaps for AWS cloud and on-premise data center environments.
- Contribute to the effort of solving complex technical challenges to improve engineering and architecture efficiencies
- Design, build, and on-board tools to accelerate and automate build, testing, release, and deployment.
- Architect, design and implement solutions centered on security via on-premise solutions, cloud-based solutions, or hybrid environments
- Work closely with all business units, and strategic partners and vendors to ensure security initiatives are in line with security standards including interdependencies.
- Provide technical expertise enhancing security criteria for existing application architecture for new features on existing products, make other relevant technical security decisions on new and current products and their launches/releases.
- Implement and advocate DevSecOps implementation tools to drive a highly automated approach to bake security into the development workflow
- Develop, document, and promote the adoption of security patterns and practices of using AWS and other internal and third-party services
- Embed yourself in the cloud computing industry and provide quarterly security briefings to advise on the latest tools and techniques to better protect the Planned Parenthood network and Affiliates. You will be tasked with identifying and providing recommendations for risks in code, applications, software architecture, and internal development processes.
- In this role, you will work closely with multiple developments and product teams both inside and outside the organization to help design and refine tools and infrastructure that empower engineers to develop and deliver applications with security in mind which impact millions of Planned Parenthood users. You will act as a bridge between Development and Security Architecture teams to better optimize a secure development process
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- This position requires a strategic thinker with strong collaboration skills and detailed working knowledge of security technologies and best practices for a complex business environment to ensure that products and systems are deployed in a secure manner.
- Strong relationship-building, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Must be flexible and able to work well equally both independently and cross-functionally with teams
- Ability to develop and present technical decisions and recommendations effectively with technical and non-technical audiences through verbal and written communications that lead to actionable and measurable improvements
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with limited direction and actively defines process improvements, champions and drives change initiatives, confronts difficult circumstances in creative ways, balances competing for priorities and executes accordingly
- Experience architecting/operating solutions built on AWS
- Knowledge of Python, Django & Django CMS
- Understanding of Software Security Architecture and Design, SDLC and the ability to clearly articulate best practices for application security
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong experience with container and container orchestration technologies such as Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs
- 5-8 years- Experience with software system design in the cloud environment
- 5-8 years- Strong version control and CI/CD experience with Git, Github, Continuous Integration (Jenkins), and the full product development lifecycle. Experience in designing database schemas and models - PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Experience in DevOps environments working with and influencing developers to maintain security through CI/CD processes.
- Software development experience in an object-oriented programming language such as Java, React, Python, HTML5, CSS3, React, Vue.js,
- Unix/Linux, performance, load, and simulation testing
- Experience in Team-Based Development (Scrum, Agile) and related tools.
- Knowledge of other languages and frameworks like Node.js, Ruby, PHP or Perl a plus.
- Experience with networking, storage, logging, monitoring and alerting, distributed systems snf stress/load/performance simulation/testing
- Knowledge of application scanning tools
- AWS or Google Cloud Certified
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.