Manager, Abortion Access Research & Evaluation
New York, NY /
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Research & Evaluation /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seek a Manager of Abortion Access Research & Evaluation. This job reports to the Associate Director of Evaluation & Learning in the Research & Evaluation Department of PPFA. The Research and Evaluation Department consists of a team of epidemiologists, evaluators, and certified clinical research experts that conducts and supports research and evaluation throughout the federation. The department aims to expand health care options and improve access to critical services and new ways of delivering care. To this end, the department conducts original research studies to inform patient care and assesses the effectiveness of National Office programs and initiatives. The department also facilitates, coordinates, and supports research conducted at Planned Parenthood affiliates through capacity building, technical assistance, and direct consultation.
- The Manager will support cross-cutting PPFA-administered programs to improve access to and equity in abortion services. The main focus of this job is to provide oversight and coordination for evaluation activities associated with the Future of Abortion Access Initiative - a collaborative, federation-wide strategic planning effort to address the public health emergency of abortion access. It develops data-driven, patient-centered approaches to providing, safeguarding, and bolstering equitable access to abortion care. The evaluation is a systematic assessment that aims to determine the effectiveness of the initiative in improving equitable access to abortion in the U.S., and demonstrate accountability to our patients, supporters, and funders. The Manager will also contribute to study coordination, data analysis, and reporting for clinical and health service focused research studies that aim to explore and improve abortion access and service delivery.
- Drafts and designs evaluation plans and instruments.
- Develops, implements and oversees the collection of process and outcome evaluation data.
- Conducts preliminary analyses of process and outcome evaluation data.
- Serves as the primary PPFA point of contact for project evaluation, with responsibility for evaluation planning and reporting and data collection activities.
- Works closely with research/evaluation and program staff to ensure coordinated communication
- Schedules and facilitates meetings with internal and external stakeholders; ensures content and logistics are covered for evaluation meetings and workgroups.
- Conducts data management and analyses on select PPFA-led research studies focused on abortion care and access.
- Regularly works with staff within the department, other departments/divisions, and external contacts and other research partners.
- The Manager will maintain communication and coordination between multiple departments, affiliates, and, in some cases, external research partners.
- Communicates regularly with internal stakeholders across departments and divisions within the National Office.
- Serves as an internal evaluation expert to all workstreams involved in the Future of Abortion Access initiative
- S/he/they should have familiarity and experience working with the population Planned Parenthood serves, including people of different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, people with different gender identities and individuals with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of professional (or) related experience.
- A combination of professional experience and skills may be considered in lieu of formal/traditional education.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation and survey and data collection instrument design.
- Experience with direct implementation of evaluation activities, including design, data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Experience with quantitative data analysis software, preferably STATA or SPSS, and either experience or strong interest in learning qualitative data analysis software.
- Familiarity with Tableau, Data Studio, or other data visualization tools
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to write monitoring and evaluation reports and other documents for multiple audiences (particularly non-technical audiences).
- Ability to work with multiple constituencies across departmental and organizational boundaries to problem-solve, build alliances, and influence meaningful outcomes.
- Ability to handle multiple, concurrent projects.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and ambiguous situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of reproductive health and rights and particularly abortion equity and rights.
- Strong customer service orientation and skills.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities.
Starting Salary: $75k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer