Director, Direct Response Marketing and Administration
New York, NY /
Office of the Chief Development Officer (CDO) – Direct Response /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a Director, Direct Response Marketing & Administration to lead a team of marketing and administrative professionals. With the requisite experience and skills, the Director will lead the development of sophisticated marketing strategies for both Acquisition and Resolicitation to be executed primarily through traditional Direct Response channels (mail, telemarketing, F2F). The Director will also innovate strategies and technology to better integrate with digital communications, ensuring the long term success of print, phone, and face-to-face campaigns.
In addition to leading an internal team who oversee the design, production and office operations that generate $40MM in revenue annually, they will also work closely with Development leadership and provide ongoing direction to Paid Professional Fundraisers and Professional Fundraising Counsel vendors. Ensuring good relations and enterprise-wide coordination with other departments within Planned Parenthood is essential. Key partner teams include Mid Level fundraising, Digital Fundraising & Supporter Engagement (digital ads and email), Development Systems (database operations and support), Donor Services & Retention, Finance, Office of General Counsel, and InfoSec.
The Director will develop and deploy fundraising practices and standards according to legal, editorial and strategic guidelines and provide substantial input on the design and execution of the Direct Response revenue and expense budgets for all related Acquisition and Resoliciation campaigns.
Sets strategy and leads the team responsible for executing fundraising campaigns from the point of strategy memo to data selection, including the review of segmentation and data merges and production, connecting PPFA/PPAF Direct Response teams with outside consultants, data management services, and list, analytics and modeling vendors, etc.
Purpose: The role of the Director is to lead two core Direct Response functions. One is to provide supervision and strategic guidance for both PPFA staff and Agency Partners to create successful traditional Direct Response campaigns. This includes both Acquisition and Resolicitation for PPFA/PPAF/PP Federal PAC entities, primarily through Mail, Telemarketing, and Face-to-Face channels. The second is to streamline and maintain all administrative operations necessary to successfully execute those campaigns and related activities. This includes maintaining contracts with multiple vendors and managing all related process functions (e.g. invoice processing, expense tracking, meeting calendars, campaign production and project management systems and platforms).
- Maintain business agreements with multiple outside vendor partners from Partner Intake (RFP as needed), through state by state registration and regulatory reporting.
- Provides design, management and oversight for related administrative functions including invoice processing, expense tracking, meeting calendars, campaign production and project management systems and platforms.
- Skillfully navigates organizational structures that are both departmental and matrixed in order to align internal and external teams and successfully deliver on both marketing and operational goals.
- Serving as the organizational expert on traditional Direct Response marketing trends and techniques, the Director informs and shapes long term program goals; producing campaigns to achieve Direct Response fundraising and donor diversification goals through segmentation, copywriting and design.
- Develops and applies analytics to shape strategy and identify opportunities to increase donor engagement and return on investment.
- Provide on-going training briefings for telemarketing and canvassing teams to ensure the Planned Parenthood brand continues to be associated with best in class program quality.
- The Director will supervise 3-5 internal staff and be the point of contact for Planned Parenthood’s fundraising Agency partner. In addition to setting day to day production priorities and strategy for the Direct Response marketing team the Director coordinates campaign and program integration across channels and donor portfolios, navigating potential conflicts to ensure holistic donor-centered fundraising narratives. The Director will work with Development leadership and other stakeholders across the organization to drive strategies and programs to achieve fundraising goals. Works with agency partners, fundraising vendors, and internal Communications, Editorial, and various program departments to create compelling donor-centric messaging that is in line with Planned Parenthood mission, values, business rules, ethical and legal standards. The Director partners closely with the Donor Services team, President Circle (mid-level), Collaborative Fundraising (Planned Parenthood Affiliates), Development Systems (database operations), and Digital Fundraising & Supporter Engagement teams. This collaboration supports the development of relevant, actionable metrics, analytics and coherent cross-channel creative and messaging content. Other constituencies include other business units within Development and Planned Parenthood more broadly as well as external partners, primarily Professional Fundraising Counsel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Six to ten years of work experience in program management of fundraising, advocacy, or related commercial enterprise.
- Established track record of successful program management and marketing expertise, meeting goals and maximizing return on investment.
- Expertise working across all donor communication channels with diverse audiences.
- Professional experience that demonstrates an ability to build consensus within and among teams to advance fundraising objectives by implementing clearly articulated campaigns
- High level written and verbal communication skills necessary to produce memos, presentations, procedural documentation, agendas, etc.
- Proficiency with standard fundraising data, metrics, and reporting processes and the ability to provide original output
- Proficiency in Google/Microsoft documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
- Fluency in PPFA’s data platforms (Salesforce, EveryAction, Civis), project management software (Asana) and Mastery of business rules related to 501(c)3 & 501(c)4 tax statuses, National/State/Regional affiliated organizations, Payment Card Industry security standards, Political Action Committee, and FEC 527 compliance are desirable.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.