Latino Media Communications Officer
New York, NY
Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Media Department seeks a dynamic and effective Latino Media Communications Officer. Reporting to the Associate Director of Latino Media, they will implement media relations strategies to support organizational goals, with a particular focus on advancing PPFA's mission through work with Spanish language media organizations and outlets as well as select English language outlets with Latino audiences. The Communications Officer will provide strong support and counsel to PPFA affiliates for earned media needs as well as contributing to the success of Planned Parenthood's multiple public health and advocacy campaigns on the national and local level. Additionally, this role will be responsible for producing and editing material for media, responding to media requests, proactively reaching out to and pitching media outlets, producing materials to prepare affiliate and PPFA spokespersons for interviews, coordinating and review translations of materials into Spanish.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft press releases, statements, advisories, op-ed pieces, memos, briefings, message guidance, fact sheets, and other material that supports media relations efforts in English and in Spanish.
- Engage on a daily basis with Spanish-language media outlets to pitch reporters to proactively promote Planned Parenthood initiatives, and respond to inquiries from reporters.
- Identify national and state-based Spanish language journalists and English language journalists with Latino audiences to connect more deeply with Planned Parenthood. Maintain media contacts lists, and build and maintain relationships with key journalists.
- Work with local affiliate staff and relevant departments to help develop and implement strategic Spanish communications plans in support of Planned Parenthood’s goals with particular regard to state policy work including attacks on access to sexual reproductive health care in state legislatures.
- Work in close partnership with affiliates to help them deepen relationships with local Spanish-language media outlets, develop and execute local media strategies to raise awareness about Planned Parenthood's work in Spanish-speaking communities, including highlighting the Raiz and Promotoras de salud programs.
- Coordinate translation process of all relevant materials, strategically deciding which products should be translated in conjunction with the Assistant Director of Latino Media and Communications; transcreating all documents before sending to translation and reviewing all translations for consistency.
- Translating short materials in rapid response scenarios where turnaround with an external translator is not possible.
- Produce or assist with media-related events and trainings.
- Work with affiliates and relevant PPFA departments to ensure that media materials and strategies reflect broader goals related to policy, organizing, affiliate priorities, and health care services and that affiliates are receiving relevant Spanish-language materials in a timely manner.
- Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on PPFA communications work. Identify and share innovative new ideas for promoting PPFA, its initiatives, and its positions with specific regard to reaching a Spanish-language audiences.
- Work cross departmentally to advance organization’s overall engagement with Spanish speaking communities.
- Serve as a spokesperson with Spanish language press as necessary.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- BA Degree or related professional training.
- 3–5 years of experience working directly with members of the media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers.
- Fluency in Spanish required.
- Experience working directly with Spanish language media outlets and reporters in some capacity required.
- Must possess excellent communication and customer service skills. Must write and edit proficiently and quickly in English and Spanish.
- Must have existing direct relationships with members of the press and extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, radio, online, blogs, and broadcast).
- Must be a team player and be able to produce high-quality work under pressure and against tight deadlines.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.