Senior Specialist, Data Analytics & Governance
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Data Strategy, Analytics & Gov. /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a dynamic and collaborative Senior Specialist - Data Analytics & Governance. This job reports to the Director, Data Analytics in the Data Strategy, Analytics, and Governance (DSAG) department at PPFA. TheDSAG team enables data-driven decision making through high quality data, analysis, and tools.
Purpose: The Senior Specialist contributes to Planned Parenthood’s mission by producing actionable data insights and tools for Planned Parenthood’s national office and affiliate stakeholders. As a member of PPFA’s DSAG team, the Senior Specialist supports a portfolio of programs and projects through the development of data products/systems and consulting on data collection, analysis, and use. The Senior Specialist will be responsible for the full reporting lifecycle from design, development, testing, documentation, and maintenance of complex reports and data visualizations. They will establish strong relationships with partners and provide exemplary customer service by understanding stakeholder needs and developing targeted, sustainable data solutions. As a systems thinker, the Senior Specialist will be able to understand, create, and improve interdependent processes that relate to data.
- Design, develop, test, document, and maintain complex reports and data visualizations using analytical/BI tools such as Tableau Desktop/Server/Prep
- Consult with PPFA national office departments and Planned Parenthood affiliates on data collection, analysis, and reporting to inform programs and business needs; provide subject matter expertise and technical assistance to create and improve data practices, analyses, and tools
- Analyze operational data to discern trends and provide recommendations to drive decision-making
- Draft and deliver reports/presentations to Planned Parenthood national office departments and affiliate organizations
- Support ad-hoc data requests from colleagues across the Federation
- Participate in quality assurance (QA) processes to ensure data products are high quality
- Document data products and systems: author wiki articles and internal process documents; develop user-facing guides (written and video)
- Effectively manage program/project files (organize, archive) in alignment with DSAG’s knowledge management practices
- Demonstrate intercultural competence and ensure all work products consider the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including communities of color and individuals with different gender identities and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Pursue relevant proficiencies/certifications where determined by business needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- The Senior Specialist supports a broad portfolio of programs/projects, and the role requires strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for helping others collect, leverage, and interpret data. The Senior Specialist will consult regularly with end-users at the PPFA National Office and Planned Parenthood affiliates to develop targeted data solutions that inform operational and strategic decision-making. This role will also provide ongoing technical support and education on data tools and best practices.
- This role requires a keen ability and desire to communicate, including attending and presenting at cross-divisional meetings/webinars. Due to the consultative nature of the role, the Senior Specialist must have exemplary customer service skills, a positive “can do” attitude, and a demonstrated track record directly helping people design and implement data products and systems. The Senior Specialist will have familiarity and experience working with the population Planned Parenthood serves, including people of different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, people with different gender identities and individuals with disabilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- At least 3 years of experience in healthcare analysis/business intelligence, public health, statistics, or related area required
- High technical proficiency with Tableau Desktop required, including experience with:
- Designing, developing, testing, and complex reports, dashboards, and data visualizations
- Developing and publishing Tableau data sources using different data connectors
- Troubleshooting, optimizing, and maintaining complex reports and dashboards, including those developed by others
- At least one Tableau Desktop certification or willingness to become certified within three months of date of hire
- Advanced Microsoft Excel proficiency required
- Experience developing written technical documentation required
- Experience with healthcare data, including writing complex SQL reports using electronic health records (EHR) reporting databases (NextGen, Epic Clarity/Caboodle, Athena, eCW), highly preferred
- Technical proficiency using SQL and T-SQL to develop complex reports highly preferred, including experience with:
- Developing database objects (tables, views, and stored procedures)
- Microsoft SQL Server and Management Studio and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Experience with GIS (Esri ArcGIS) or other mapping software preferred
- Experience with Tableau Server (administration and governance) and Tableau Prep (data cleansing, transformation) preferred
- Experience with Python or R for statistical analysis and applications preferred
- Proficiency with G-Suite and Microsoft Office suite required; experience with Asana or similar project management tool strongly preferred
- Experience in disaggregating data and considering the impacts on multiple communities, including communities of color, in technical analysis preferred
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills with keen attention to detail and grammar (English fluency) required; ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments required
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to different racial/ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and people with different gender identities, cultural differences and disabilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred; combination of professional experience and skills may be considered in lieu of formal/traditional education
- 0-25% (domestic)
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.