Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Director, Training who will be charged with developing and implementing national strategies and programs that build long term power for Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund, with a focus on training. In partnership with key constituencies, affiliates and internal stakeholders, this person will manage execute sophisticated trainings and conferences, as well as develop strategic plans to demonstrate our grassroots power all in service of winning campaigns to protect and expand access to sexual and reproductive health -- with an emphasis on engaging communities that are reflective of the people served at Planned Parenthood health centers. This position is apart of the Organizing, Elections & Campaigns Department of the 501c(4) and Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns Department of the 501c(3).
This position is a member of the senior leadership of the Organizing Team, and provides day-to-day management of the Associate Director, Training and an integrated, cross-cutting national training team. The Training Director executes campaign strategy, with an emphasis on curriculum development, training strategy, and implementation. This role is the Chief Learning Officer of the team that has critical role in supporting the foundation and infrastructure of public affairs across the federation. This position will partner with the Organizing Director and Political Director to ensure that the full direction, training, coaching and resources needed to manage successful organizing campaigns and affiliate/national partnerships are in coordination with Campaign Teams and other stakeholders within Planned Parenthood.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support staff and affiliates in creating strategies that build long term power and are integrated with their immediate electoral and policy goals.
- Ensure successful implementation of strategic goals by providing affiliates and constituents with campaign and field experience, technical support, and connections to the appropriate national federation resources
- This position is responsible for working with the Data and Analytics Team to design program evaluation measures and make program enhancements/changes as indicated and managing tracking and reports related to the aforementioned campaigns.
- Represent the interests of the Organizing Team in cross departmental meetings and external facing events when needed.
- Provide vision, direction, and leadership in executing long term and rapid response national issue campaigns and organizing strategies in partnership with the Organizing Team and the rest of the the OEC Department.
- Serves a senior leadership role in our organizational change work to bring an anti-oppression/reproductive justice perspective to our work.
- Provides advising, training, and coaching to national staff, affiliate staff, partners, and constituents--and should have an analysis of building power for young people, people of color, women and LGBTQ communities.
- Design, execute and support in the creation and on-site facilitation of national, regional, and statewide convenings and convenings
- Enhance affiliate staff expertise and the leadership development of our supporters through formal and informal training in leadership growth, organizing, supporter mobilization and activation, staff management and messaging.
- Manage staff to develop new and existing trainings curriculum to advance organizing strategies.
- Develop and maintain strategic collaborations with other organizations in-state and nationally that advance the Organizing work of PPFA.
- As needed This position manages rapid response, digital and communications campaigns, and other special projects as assigned. These projects vary between large scale events, field campaigns, advocacy campaigns, and education campaigns. (ie, Power of Pink, #PinkOut Day).
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5-7 years of organizing experience, ideally with a mix of electoral, community, and direct action organizing.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- A record of success in peer-to-peer training, conference planning, organizing campaigns and concrete wins and management.
- Participation in NOI, Midwest Academy, Wellstone, Management Center, Rockwood or comparable training a plus.
- Proficiency with computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint Excel, and Publisher and online training tools.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Deep appreciate for the mission of PPFA.
- Bias toward action; drives work forward with an urgency to see results.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Collaborative work style and experience working in a federated structure
- Experience creating training designs and outcomes, including program and curriculum evaluation.
- Experience working in diverse communities.
- Familiarity with women’s health issues, and racial justice lens.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.