2020 Summer Intern-Patient Advocacy Organizing
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The application window closes on January 26, 2020.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Organzing, Engagment & Campaigns department seeks a 2020 summer intern to help further the goals of the organization by working with members of the Patient Advocacy Programs Team. The intern will develop their skills while gaining hands-on experience at a progressive, internationally-recognized non-profit. This will be an opportunity to become part of the highly respected Planned Parenthood family. Applicants should demonstrate an interest in sexual and reproductive health and rights, as well as working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity to and appreciation for cultural differences.
Intern will have the opportunity to learn:
Foundational organizing skills at a national level, including goal planning and evaluating success within affiliates’ Health Center Advocacy Program and Healthy Neighborhood Canvassing efforts, and storytelling work.
Experience working with communities of color and other marginalized groups with opportunities to highlight those voices in the reproductive health and rights movement.
Development of training materials for affiliate staff who work with storytellers, health center visitors, and patient advocacy volunteers.
Manage online storybank submissions and story collection databases.
Recruit and train new storytellers for direct action engagements
The program runs from June 1st 2020 to August 14th 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting in the development of organizing trainings, curriculum, and materials.
- Under the supervision of the Patient Advocacy Programs staff, assist with the planning and execution of staff trainings.
- Draft monthly reports on Patient Advocacy work across the federation.
- Conduct analysis of storybank to track program growth for the year.
- Taking a leadership role on special projects and perform administrative duties as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Candidate should be a current undergraduate student or should have completed studies within the last six months, with a minimum of two years of college experience.
- Experience in community, campus, or political outreach, and organizing, preferred.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- A strong commitment and understanding of the mission of Planned Parenthood and a passion for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline – “Care. No matter what.” as it applies to how we treat our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- We strongly encourage current or former Planned Parenthood Generation Action members and peer educators to apply.
- Customer focused
To be considered for this internship you must attach a current resume, cover letter stating your interest.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.