Data Scientist, Digital Products
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Digital Products /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
About the Digital Products team: The Planned Parenthood Digital Products team provides reliable and scalable applications and technology programs and services in support of health care delivery, sex education, advocacy, fundraising, and internal operations. For three consecutive years in a row, we have been awarded the World's Most Innovative Company from Fast Company.
The Digital Products team is seeking a Data Scientist to help us define and build processes and systems for Roo, our sex ed chatbot. The Data Scientist will efficiently analyze behavioral data as our knowledge database grows at a rapid pace. Roo is the creation of the Digital Products CoLab, a small team dedicated to digital impact and innovation as a subdivision of the larger Digital Products team. The position will report to the Senior Director of the Digital Products CoLab, in the Healthcare Division (HCD) of PPFA. HCD provides national frameworks for the delivery of health care and education to our patients, digital users, and supporters across the country.
- This person will be successful when they identify trends within Roo’s conversational data that can be mined, visualized, and converted into actionable business recommendations. The Data Scientist’s recommendations should empower our team to improve the user’s path to care, increase user satisfaction, and craft impactful strategies for the Black, Latinx, and trans/nonbinary communities.
- The Data Scientist is responsible for delivering:
- Easy-to-use analytics solutions, primarily for Roo but potentially for other products as needs arise, that strategically cultivate data designed to reveal insights into users’ behaviors.
- Tools for and implementing, monitoring, and iterating on AI-powered conversational analyses for auditing of conversational, qualitative data found in Roo.
- Cleaning and standardizing of data from multiple data sets, to produce more accurate queries and reports.
- Interpretation of external data to define new trends in Roo's user demo for content and product improvement opportunities.
- Recommendations for third-party analytics and business intelligence products that are best suited to achieve organizational and digital strategic goals.
- Custom applications built across multiple analytics products where appropriate.
- Data visualizations and presentations, developed in partnership with the Senior Director, Digital Product CoLab, for various internal and external audiences.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Required professional experience:
- 3-4 years professional experience
- Fluent in SQL / relational algebra
- Mastery of data in a language such as Python or R
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform and BigQuery
- Significant experience applying machine learning to real business problems
- Experience analyzing qualitative conversations, as well as quantitative actions and events
- Bias for code simplicity and performance
- Required attributes:
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Self-motivation and ability to stay focused in the middle of distraction.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects in a highly-matrixed environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to effectively liaise with colleagues on all levels in a distributed, multicultural, detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate work effectively with stakeholders and colleagues who hold various priorities.
- Resiliency in the face of multiple challenges and blockers.
- Flexibility in applying standard technology practices to the unique needs of Planned Parenthood.
- A passion for Planned Parenthood’s mission, and dedication to using technology to expand access to the sexual and reproductive health resources and rights.
- Familiarity with digital product development, human-centered design, and lean startup methodologies a plus.
Starting Salary: 85k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer