Advocacy & Political Compliance Officer
Office of the General Counsel – Office of the SVP General Counsel
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and detailed oriented compliance officer to join our team. The Office of the General Counsel provides extensive legal support on a wide array of business and advocacy initiatives at PPFA (the national headquarters), Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Planned Parenthood Federal PAC, and Planned Parenthood Votes. We also support and train Planned Parenthood affiliates and local advocacy organizations throughout the country on a variety of legal issues. The Advocacy and Political Compliance Officer will design, administer and coordinate programs and procedures to ensure PPFA, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Planned Parenthood Federal PAC, and Planned Parenthood Votes activities are in compliance with all applicable state and federal campaign finance regulations and reporting requirements.
This role works under the supervision of Office of General Counsel attorneys and coordinates closely with other departments and relevant experts regarding compliance issues. Refines and implements tracking and reporting processes to ensure campaign finance reporting needs are met at the federal, state and local levels, and trains staff on related procedures and requirements as needed. Monitors and audits related processes to ensure compliance. Serves as a compliance resource for national office staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with staff to develop plans to enable PPFA and the Action Fund to meet related deadlines. Refines and maintains systems for tracking and updating federal, state and local lobbying, election and tax law guidance and legal opinions.
- Works with Development, Finance and Public Policy staff to ensure that all relevant reports are accurate and timely.
- Implements and refines systems to ensure that all PPFA and Action Fund federal, state and local lobbying and election registration and related reporting (including, but not limited to, FEC and state reporting) are completed and submitted in an accurate and timely manner.
- Refines procedures and guidelines related to federal, state and local lobbying and elections for use by staff and volunteers.
- Monitors systems and performs frequent audits to determine compliance with relevant laws and internal procedures.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as requested.
- Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines, staff absences and vacancies, and during peak activity periods (e.g. election season). Occasional evening and/or weekend work required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement database management and reporting systems.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with management information systems and database management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to design organizational processes and procedures.
- Familiarity with FEC and/or state reporting forms, either directly filing or compiling information for filing.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Able to take initiative, meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, and maintain focus on identified goals and objectives.
- Able to identify and effectively communicate to leadership issues that are impeding their ability to achieve their job deliverables and deadlines.
- Able to work, learn, and quickly adapt under pressure in a fast-paced, highly innovative, rapidly changing environment.
- Comfortable with technology and committed to developing paper-reduced work processes.
- Background in non-profit or public administration, finance, accounting, or expert knowledge of election law and FEC regulations preferred.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.