Managing Director, Office of the General Counsel and Contracts Administration
New York, NY /
Office of the Senior Vice President & General Counsel (OGC) – Office of the SVP General Counsel /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable sexual and reproductive health care for all people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 600 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect, and without judgment, striving to create equitable access to health care. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable education and information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that supports the independently incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates operating health centers across the U.S. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational, advocacy, and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF)seek a highly organized, detail oriented and effective Senior Director of Contract Administration and Managing Director. This job reports to the General Counsel [Temporarily to the Interim General Counsel] in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC).
OGC - which is comprised of 3 departments (General Counsel’s Office, Risk & Ethics and Board Affairs all reporting to the General Counsel) - provides clear, reliable and timely advice and support to PPFA, Action Fund, PP Global, Planned Parenthood Federal PAC, and Planned Parenthood Votes (“National Office”) staff, enabling the organization’s strategic objectives to be achieved in ways that reflect Planned Parenthood values, risk tolerance, culture, and adherence to legal and ethical principles. To do so, OGC supports the national office program and infrastructure teams in structuring and documenting, as well as assessing and mitigating the risks of complex transactions, projects, and policy initiatives. OGC provides legal guidance in areas including health care, technology, fundraising, advocacy, electoral, and general corporate matters. The attorneys and professionals within the OGC’s Contracts Administration Team draft, review and shepherd through to approval of thousands of contracts and grants for the National Office every year.
Purpose: Managing Director, Office of the General Counsel and Contracts Administration (“OGC”) will lead OGC’s Contract Administration team, including Associate Directors of Contract Administration and Contracts Specialists, and oversee operations, coordination, and special projects within OGC.
In the Managing Director role, this individual serves as a partner to the General Counsel, a partner and counsel to the OGC leadership team within the division, and a leader, connector and partner to staff in the division as well as to staff in other divisions. This position requires the ability to work well with colleagues to develop, coordinate, and execute plans that support continuous operations improvement, as well as effective communication with the broader organization. The ideal candidate can balance between strategic and tactical thinking, and can work with operations leaders to guide informed decision making and priority setting based on relevant data and information.
In the Contracts Administration role, this individual is a seasoned contract administration professional who is fluent in contract structure, problem solving, and decisive resolution of contractual issues. They partner with the General Counsel, and the offices of both Chief Operations Officer and Chief Financial Officer to develop improved processes, process guidance, policy guidance and change management to stakeholders. The ideal candidate is skilled at management and cultivation of in-house clients from organizational units located at multiple locations and skilled at managing multiple service initiatives and programs.
● OGC Management:
○ Work with the General Counsel and OGC team to engage and communicate with staff across the organization.
○ Work with OGC staff to ensure coordination across division on projects and other deliverables.
○ Serve as the day-to-day supervisor for some OGC administrative staff (which includes Executive Assistant, Office of the SVP - General Counsel
○ Engage National Office staff around improvements to core processes and initiatives from OGC.
● Contracts Administration:
○ Oversees, defines and leads the overall strategy and direction of the Contract Administration team;
○ Supervises Contract Administration team, including Associate Directors and Specialists; ○ Represents Contracts Administration at external meetings and conferences and internal trainings;
○ Coordinates Contract Administration work with internal legal staff and outside counsel; ○ Fosters relationships to ensure Contracts Administration continues to be trusted partner among organizational units; ○ Partners with teams across the National Office to develop targeted initiatives that leverage team competencies and ensure contract policies and considerations are reflected in the work and initiatives of other organizational units. ○ Provides thought-partnership, expertise and guidance to stakeholders and leadership on contract construction, business and legal risk, contract administration process, business organization and appropriate legal documentation.
● OGC Management:
○ Oversee the day-to-day work of the OGC, including planning for key deadlines, overseeing the OGC budget.
○ Serve as a thought partner to the GC and OGC leadership and help to resolve strategic and structural issues facing the division, and to ensure business and staff challenges are dealt with in an open and effective manner.
○ Plan agendas and facilitate the OGC Leadership and OGC staff meetings in partnership with the GC and OGC Leadership.
○ Coordinate consistent OGC division actions to continually improve employee engagement across the division.
○ Partner with the OGC Leadership and the DEI team to ensure that OGC advances efforts on building a diverse and inclusive organization.
○ Partner with OGC’s designated Human Resource Business Partner to ensure consistent, timely and accurate information, support and implementation of HR practices across the division.
○ Other duties such as special initiatives as assigned
● Contracts Administration:
● Implement OGC initiatives, including education and enforcement of compliance with PPFA/OGC policies, as well as state/federal regulations and industry standards.
● Identifies and pursues opportunities to improve service to the National Office by innovating service capacity, reach and impact, including updating contract policies and processes, competitive bidding processes and related tools, and implementation.
● Anticipates and develops strategies to resolve contracting needs across the organization.
● Owns project implementations and related change management.
● Builds, maintains, and works within OGC proprietary systems, databases, and directories
● Authors and maintains custom contracts reporting for leadership and stakeholders, including: process documents; guidelines; contract templates; clause library; contracts protocols; training materials and presentations; and will perform data analytics on contracts process statistics.
● Develops and maintains template library, including standard and nonstandard clauses. ● Partners with Associate Directors on client management, including tasks such as contract review/negotiation, problem-solving, process development & management, and targeted initiatives.
● Drafts and edits contracts, which may include third party agreements, grants, sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements, commercial co-ventures, media releases, and NDAs, trademark filings, intellectual property licenses, and related legal documents. ● Ensures submissions comply with contract policies and clients make consistent use of contract templates, including deference to policies on content.
● Serves as a point person for organizational clients for Contract Administration.
● Represents Contracts Administration at external meetings and conferences and internal trainings.
● Partners with teams across the National Office to develop targeted initiatives that leverage team competencies and ensure contract policies and considerations are reflected in the work and initiatives of other organizational units.
● Provides thought-partnership, expertise and guidance to stakeholders and leadership on contract construction, business and legal risk, contract administration process, business organization and appropriate legal documentation.
● Drafts, interprets and negotiates contracts (both OGC and third-party forms), including standard and non-standard provisions;
● Flags important issues and potential legal risk with contracts for Contracts Attorney review.
● As needed, enlists counsel of Interim/General Counsel and senior attorneys on legal questions, process development and policy interpretation.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5–10 years of demonstrated and progressive management experience in contract administration;
5-10 years of experience in contract administration with a demonstrated proficiency in negotiation, contract interpretation, drafting, editing, data management and organization; • Demonstrated knowledge of and expertise in: contract administration with experience in data systems management; contracts concepts; business and legal risk-management principles; payment structures; intellectual property rights and licensing; independent contract negotiation; contract process management and organization; word processing, change management success; and budgeting; contract drafting, including clause origination.
• Demonstrated success in designing and implementing effective contract management tools and processes.
• Knowledge of federal and state regulations related to multiple not-for-profit tax classifications a plus.
• Exceptional oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills. • Experience working with vendors, consultants, and outside counsel.
• Demonstrated proficiency in Word, Excel, Google for Business, database management and process management systems.
• Ability to plan and prioritize effectively, motivate others, meet deadlines, prioritize, multitask and adapt well in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
Salary - $185k - $200k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Beginning in February 2023, all roles denoted as NYC, DC, or both, will be on a hybrid schedule, requiring 2-3 days per week in-office.