2020 Summer Intern-Black Organizing Program
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
APPLICATIONS AND REFERRALS FOR THIS POSITION ARE CLOSED (January 22, 2019)
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) has long been committed to increasing civic engagement in the Black community — a growing demographic in the nation and one that faces many obstacles to health care access. The Black Organizing Program is Planned Parenthood’s national effort to work with the Black community on fights for reproductive health, sex education, and access to care.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic 2020 Black Organizing Program to help further the goals of the organization by working with members of the Black Organizing Team.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
Foundational organizing skills at a national level, including goal planning and evaluating success.
Experience working with communities of color and other marginalized groups with opportunities to highlight those voices in the Reproductive health and rights movement.
Development of training materials and support for Black leaders and affiliate staff who work with Black communities.
The program runs from June 1st 2020 to August 14th 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the supervision of the Associate Director, Black Campaigns, assist with the planning and execution of trainings, check in’s, agendas, etc.
- Assisting in the development of organizing trainings, curriculum, and materials.
- Taking a leadership role on special projects and perform administrative duties as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Candidate should be a current undergraduate student with a minimum of two years of college experience.
- Experience with campaigns in diverse communities preferred (with emphasis in Black communities/populations)
- Understanding of the issues facing communities when it comes to accessing health care.
- Strong writing and public speaking skills.
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline – “Care. No matter what.” as it applies to how we treat our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- Exceptional attention to details.
- Excellent problem solving skills, initiative, and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
To be considered for this internship you must attach a current resume, cover letter stating your interest.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.