Cloud Network Engineer
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Health Care Strategy /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Initially reporting to the PPFA Epic Implementation PMO Director, the cloud network engineer functions as a technical expert. This role is responsible for resolving and making decisions on complex and high-risk issues and implementing cloud infrastructure systems to meet current and future user requirements. This role includes working with service, integrator, and cloud service providers to modify and maintain existing production and non-production systems to address changes in business processes and ensure uninterrupted access to the Epic, ancillary, and related environments. The cloud network engineer will ensure service providers and integrators achieve contracted service delivery outcomes. This role will be responsible for maintaining efficient, resilient, and optimal networks, documenting network architecture, and maintaining network diagrams.
- Manages and maintains cloud-based networks using AWS, and the interconnection between these networks and traditional networks using direct configuration and abstraction tools, including Aviatrix
- Configures, manages, and maintains Palo Alto firewall devices
- Maintains advanced knowledge of the Palo Alto operating system (CLI) and browser interface system
- Maintains advanced and up-to-date knowledge of AWS networking and associated troubleshooting
- Builds and maintains client-side VPN tunnels between the PP Epic environment and remote endpoints
- Troubleshoots any issues related to virtual network technologies, such as IPSEC, VPN, and SDWAN
- Evaluates network and network device performance and tuning, including quality-of-service (QoS) configuration
- Configures and manages related technologies, including DHCP, SFTP, DNS (direct and conditional forwarding)
- Generates, manages, and supports (including regular rotation) of RSA, DSA, and API keys
- Supports the PP Epic build team as needed in system build activities » Performs network diagramming (including regular maintenance of these diagrams) with the ability to present to technical and nontechnical audiences
- Creates HLD, LLDs, and BOM and demonstrates the solution to client
- The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, and this job description may be amended at any time.
- Physical and Environmental Demands:
- The physical demands described must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential roles and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (activity or condition exists up to one-third of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (activity or condition exists from one-third to two-thirds of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Must be able to travel throughout and between facilities. The normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid, or tissue and, as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
- There is no occupational risk for exposure to communicable diseases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, engineering, computer science, or related field or equivalent experience
- Extensive cloud network engineering experience
- Sufficient on-premise networking equipment experience to support build and maintenance of traditional networking activities, including configuration and management of site-to-site VPNs and performance management
- Experience working across the OSI layers, with fluency in layer
- Aviatrix ACE certification or willingness to obtain
- AWS Certified Advanced Networking—Specialty (or willingness to obtain)
- Ability to communicate effectively and unambiguously with all levels of staff, stakeholders, and vendors
- Palo Alto PCNSA certification or willingness to obtain
- General competence related to information security best practices for cloud and on-premise networks
- Ability to lead initiatives and manage them independently and with professional discretion
- Ability to interact with multiple vendors to achieve integrated solutions
- Ability to ensure a racial equity lens is used when contracting with vendors
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends as required for 24x7 support
- Ability to respond to urgent situations during nonstandard hours with short or no notice
- Demonstrated history of strong customer service to diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Ability work in a team environment and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to run troubleshooting sessions and present the root cause and solution to upper management and leadership
- Ability to quickly identify and escalate (as needed) issues.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively use project management tools in real time as directed by PMO
- Values and Commitments:
- Commitment to Planned Parenthood mission and conviction about bodily autonomy and health equity.
- Understanding of racism and commitment to racial equity.
- Awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics, bringing a high level of self-awareness, empathy, and humility to interpersonal interactions.
- Effective interactions and building of trust across diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and hear effectively across differences and reflect and act on feedback related to identity and equity with the aim to learn.
- Multi-cloud experience
- Experience with RFC, CABs meeting, and change management process
- Excellent management and time-management skills
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.