Director, Federal Advocacy Communications
Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund
(PPAF) seeks a Director of Federal Advocacy Communications seeks a dynamic and effective Reporting to the Senior Director of Communications, the Director would lead the communications team that supports Planned Parenthood’s federal, electoral, and legislative work, and would direct message and media strategy in relation to its political and legislative work. The Director should use communications strategies to win elections, win legislative fights, and to give hope and energize Planned Parenthood’s millions of supporters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct the overarching message, strategy, vision, and deliverables for the Federal Advocacy Media Team as they seek to implement an earned media strategy to advance Planned Parenthood’s political, legislative, and electoral goals.
- Directly manage a team of highly-skilled communications professionals to help them develop communications strategies and earned media plans around federal policy efforts, working closely with Government Relations, Organizing and Campaigns, Public Policy, and Litigation and Law divisions. Manage team with clear goals, support, feedback, and mentorship as they use communications strategies to help pass or defeat legislation and translate complex legislative issues into clear, concise, values-based content.
- Develop overall message frame and creative, sharp communications strategies around the federal electoral work of Planned Parenthood political organizations, and oversee implementation of those strategies. Help position women’s health as a defining electoral issue, and frame the political debate on women’s health in terms of its impact on women.
- Serve as a key point person for bringing a political lens to a broad range of work. Collaborate closely with senior staff in the Washington, DC, office, as well as with other divisions of the communications team.
- Develop network of influential voices for Planned Parenthood by cultivating and deepening relationships with key political reporters/pundits, surrogates, communications staff at coalition allies (which encompasses women’s health and other issues), and communications staff at political committees and Congressional leadership offices.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood is seen as an influential player within the political and policy spheres. Work with team to build strategies to elevate key staff people’s profiles in influential spaces.
- Oversee production of press materials, ensuring they meet organization’s brand and overall message frame and goals. Review and edit other material to ensure that it reflects political strategies (speeches, briefings, etc).
- Contribute to broader strategies and direction of the Communications Division and support the successful execution of communications campaigns and initiatives, as a member of the senior management team within Communications.
- Serve as an advisor/collaborator to affiliate staff on political communications matters and special projects as needed.
- Execute all of this with support, guidance and direction of the Senior Director of Media.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 7 years of directly-related experience, including experience on multiple political pr advocacy campaigns (either directly for candidates or at political committees).
- Extremely sharp, proven, and battle-tested political instincts.
- Deep familiarity with federal legislative process, political campaign functions, and the intersections between the two.
- Strong existing relationships with DC-based policy and political media and influencers.
- Demonstrated ability to develop communications plans that are ambitious and achievable, and that both deepen public understanding/awareness about critical issues and promote organizations.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proven staff management skills. Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people and provide support, guidance, and mentorship.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- A direct and open style.
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion.
- Strategic approach to work.
- Deep appreciation for mission of Planned Parenthood.
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence.
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.