Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Public Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Public Policy team of the Government Relations Department at Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective individual to assist in the analysis, development, and implementation of federal and state policies that support people’s ability to access comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services. Reporting to the Director of Public Policy, this position will play a critical role in analyzing legislation, regulations, & guidance and in working across the national office and with affiliate health centers to develop and execute plans to defend access to sexual and reproductive health and to secure policies that support greater access to women’s health services and women’s health providers, including Planned Parenthood, particularly for people with low incomes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tracks developments in health policy, including federal and state regulations, guidance, and legislation and evaluates & communicates their impact on access to women’s health care and reproductive health services.
- Consistently develops knowledge of and expertise around emerging and complex health care delivery issues, both those directly related to sexual and reproductive health care and those rooted in changes to the larger system; serve as issue-area expert to internal and external audiences.
- Develops and implements strategies to make progress on a designated policy portfolio and provides technical assistance to Planned Parenthood affiliates in their efforts to improve access to health care at the state level.
- Writes for a variety of audiences and produces detailed, written analysis, memos on health care policy, comments on proposed policies, fact sheets, issue briefs, and other materials that detail specific health care policies and their impact on reproductive health care.
- Works collaboratively with other PPFA departments and divisions to drive multi-faceted work around assigned portfolio area forward.
- Provides timely and comprehensive reports to PPFA senior staff on project progress.
- Participates in relevant coalitions, attends meetings with government officials, and builds relationships with coalition partners and government officials.
- Team player that can contribute to multiple projects with competing deadlines.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required; JD or other advanced degree preferred.
- 3-5 years relevant experience.
- Experience working in sexual and reproductive health and other related issues, such as religious refusals, health system transformation, telehealth, social determinants of health, and health equity preferred.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of government processes in developing policy and experience implementing federal or state advocacy strategies to influence policy.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to both “get in the weeds” and see the larger picture.
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Passion for health care and PPFA’s mission.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- Proven ability to move multiple projects forward independently and collaboratively.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.