Communications Manager, Federal Policy & Advocacy
New York, NY
Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to join as a Communications Manager, Federal Policy and Advocacy. Reporting directly to the Director of Federal Advocacy Media, the Communications Manager would manage, develop, and execute communications and media strategies around the organization’s Congressional and federal policy and legislative work, including access to care at Planned Parenthood, access to safe, legal abortion and access to reproductive health care. They would strategically respond to breaking news, build relationships with Congressional staff, and shape the national media narrative.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage Planned Parenthood’s day-to-day response to breaking news in Congress and the federal administration, working closely with Government Relations and others on the communications team.
- Develop and execute communications strategies in support of Planned Parenthood’s federal and Congressional policy work.
- Manage communications guidance and resources for affiliates to shape local media narratives in support of Planned Parenthood’s federal policy goals.
- Manage our relationships with key Congressional reporters, building and strengthening them.
- Through consistent outreach, stay apprised of upcoming articles or stories that reporters are working on that cover reproductive health policy. Through consistent outreach, ensure that Planned Parenthood is considered a “must have” source for reproductive health policy.
- Manage our relationships with key Hill communications staff and partner organizations, building and maintaining strong relationships, and creating materials and conducting trainings as needed.
- Manage and build relationships with coalition members and awareness of cross-movement legislative priorities. Ensure communication meets broad goals of the organization and centers intersectional work. Coordinate with coalition partners and other allies to implement shared media relations goals.
- Draft various media materials, including press releases, advisories, talking points, Letters to the Editor, and Op-eds.
- Manage at least one direct report.
- Completes special projects as assigned and required.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals.
- Experienced in getting to “yes” in a collaborative, consensus driven style .
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment; a nimble and flexible style.
- A direct and open style.
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion.
- Strategic approach to work.
- Deep appreciation for mission of Planned Parenthood.
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence.
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.