Director, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
New York, NY /
Office of the EVP & Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Human Resources /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a dynamic and effective Director of Diversity Equity Inclusion (DEI). This job reports to the Vice President in the Diversity Equity and Inclusion, HR of PPFA. DEI provides the institutional guidepost to ensure that PPFA is a leader in this work.
- Collaborate and oversee the DEI team to ensure business and staff challenges are dealt with in an open, effective and timely manner. May manage 1-2 direct reports and be lead for managing consultants day to day. Manage and execute diversity, equity, and inclusion outcomes & activities across PPFA, with some assignments that have impact for the affiliates.
- Partner as needed to ensure that the DEI team advances its efforts on building a diverse organization through monitoring and measuring progress and setting and achieving goals, in a rapidly changing environment. Core duties include, but are not limited to;
- Team and Portfolio Management and Oversight:
- Serve as the primary point of contact and lead on critical DEI and PPFA projects.
- Monitor, facilitate and/or support the portfolio of strategic projects and programs DEI owns and/or participates in.
- Communication strategy and support its Development, establish and maintain key performance indicators to track measures of success for the PPFA strategic road map utilizing the D&I dashboard.
- Analyze the effectiveness of inclusion initiatives and identify and predict future trends in our efforts.
- Partner and steward to create DEI scorecards with strategic advice on how to improve DE&I scores for excellent outcomes toward our mission.
- Collaborate with the HR budget manager on annual budgeting and mid-year re-forecasting to ensure that DEI has clear priorities that align with the National Office strategy and the resources to support them while tracking and managing spend day to day for DEI portfolio.
- Communications Management and Oversight:
- Work with HR communications liaison to ensure the communication strategy of the DEI team is executed according to schedule and brand.
- Draft communications, presentations, reports etc as related to DEI portfolio Manage day to day and create or secure content from the appropriate stakeholders for the DEI Intranet page.
- Continuous Process Improvement:
- Lead the effort to ensure processes are established and followed and that we are effective in tracking organizational priorities and identifying risks.
- Support the development of processes and systems to evaluate and measure the impact of DEI work. Gather and analyze data as needed and prepares reports - including annual, comprehensive reports.
- DEI Training and Events:
- Using an established training partner (Anti Oppression Resource and Training Alliance), along with other DEI related curriculum, develop and lead a program to train and educate the staff. This model will be designed to include learning from Planned Parenthood affiliate leadership who also invite technical assistance and partnership. Lead training and identify internal trainers (using Equity Ambassadors, DEI Council, and other volunteer leaders) to participate in year-long curriculum.
- Build the capacity of trainers internally, and identify resources externally to provide consistent and sustained program, bringing technical knowledge of training and development.
- Manage and Oversee Employee Resources Groups (ERGs) and DEI Council:
- Manage the business functions of the Employee Resource Groups and the DEI Council and ensure they are supported to advance their unique role as inclusion and equity leaders to include. Strengthen, support and organize the Employee Resource Groups (ERGs); this role supervises the lead liaison for helping the ERGs thrive and grow.
- Understand the nuance of working with senior organizational leaders in helping to move the agenda toward inclusion and belonging.
- Support the DEI Council to work through how to improve engagement scores in the DEI index questions as well as make recommendations for improvement in the areas of career development and work-life balance and see those recommendations to processes that are measurable and executable.
- Ensure that an agenda is set for Council meetings, facilitate as needed those meetings to a successful conclusion; manage all external contact, communication, and interactions on behalf of the Council. In addition, they will advise and guide Council members on accomplishing their objectives and ensure that all work plans remain on track to deliver intended results for the business of PPFA.
- Specific guidance and leadership for Executive Sponsors, in consult with VP, DEI.
- PPFA Solidarity Program Management, Development and Oversight:
- Lead, design, supervise and monitor the program from conception to completion including but not limited to: Steward and oversee the work in ensuring that this program becomes a Gold Standard of DEI on the national and affiliate level and frames a timeline for milestones and deliverables to this central program of DEI.
- Identify and suggest high caliber speakers and other creative learning vehicles who will bring influence and visibility to the work of PoC for the affiliate and national office.
- Communicate the process and intention of yearly themes of Solidarity so that allies are included in our journey of support.
- Establish and set a realistic budget for Solidarity, with input from affiliate organizers, considering the effects of budget back-fill for jobs that are harder to substitute during training opportunities for affiliates.
- Monitor budget progress throughout the year, and have assessments on opportunities to partner on fundraising.
- Establish metrics for program build out and accountability.
- Works with stakeholders at all levels primarily focused with all staff. Identify and build relationships with internal and external partners, including thought leaders and peer organizations that deliver impactful solutions and ideas to support our inclusion initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Bachelor's degree and/or 7-10 years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge of core diversity concepts including power and privilege, emotional intelligence and implicit bias.
- Experience and fluency implementing training curricula related to diversity, equity and inclusion. Preferably experience with training trainers in the art of facilitating identity conversations.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to diverse internal and external audiences, client groups and all levels of the organization.
- Strong leadership and strategic management skills for initiatives related to equity and social justice, including supplier diversity and supply chain management.
- Comfortable with ambiguity that is natural and present leadership that guides in the overall direction of advancement. Failure will be seen as an option and a learning tool.
- Written and oral fluency in a language other than English is a plus.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.