Senior Associate General Counsel
Office of the General Counsel – Office of the SVP General Counsel
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
As a member of the Office of the General Counsel for PPFA, Action Fund, Planned Parenthood Federal PAC, and Planned Parenthood Votes, the Senior Associate General Counsel will provide the organizations’ leadership as well as program and administrative staff with effective and reliable counsel. The Senior Associate General Counsel will be directly involved in strategic planning for national office entities, and structuring, documenting and assessing and mitigating the risks of complex transactions, projects and policy initiatives in areas ranging from advocacy and political work, corporate governance, nonprofit tax law, and fundraising. The Senior Associate General Counsel reports to the General Counsel and leads the advocacy and political law team of legal and non-legal professionals within the Office of the General Counsel.
This role can work out of our NY office or DC office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters related to advocacy and political work, fundraising, and corporate governance.
- Ensure that PPFA, Action Fund, Planned Parenthood Federal PAC, and Planned Parenthood Votes conduct their business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including federal and state campaign finance laws, lobbying disclosure requirements and gift and ethics rules, and tax laws governing exempt organizations, including operation of 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and 527 organizations.
- Manage and coach the advocacy and political law team of legal and non-legal professionals, developing team members as needed to efficiently and effectively provide counsel and service to internal clients as well as ensure national office entities’ external (e.g. campaign finance) reporting requirements are met.
- Serve as principal legal advisor on major transactions, programs, and coalition efforts including contract negotiation and review.
- Lead the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs related to compliance with tax and campaign finance law.
- Select, retain, manage and evaluate outside counsel as necessary to support the organization’s programmatic and operational needs.
- Other matters and duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from accredited U.S. law school.
- Admitted to practice in New York or Washington, D.C.
- seven to ten years of legal experience in the areas of campaign finance law and/or U.S. not-for-profit corporate and tax matters required. Experience as in-house counsel a plus.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to think strategically about both the creative and the execution processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to lead a team of legal and non-legal professionals including professional development for team members.
- Ability to provide sound business advice as well as reliable legal counsel.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, highly innovative, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with program and operations teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to both partner with and provide strong guidance to associates of all levels throughout the organization.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.