National Director, Public Policy
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Public Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective seasoned National Director for Public Policy to lead the federal policy team at Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The National Director will bring superior strategic policy knowledge and experience on reproductive health, health finance, Medicaid, and the overall health system, deep knowledge of the policy making process, and management and budget experience. This position reports to the Vice-President of Government Relations & Public Policy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the primary advisor on all health policy issues, policy development and implementation of strategy of engagement with a wide variety of public health stakeholders.
- Lead the strategic direction of the Public Policy department to advance policy that protects and expanded reproductive health care in the United States and maximizes the ability of Planned Parenthood’s 53 affiliates to deliver health care and sex education.
- Identify and secure opportunities for significant policy changes that enhance affiliates’ operational ability to serve patients, including but not limited to public health, health finance, Medicaid, insurance, pharmacy, reproductive health, federal programs, and system transformation.
- Lead a complex and multi-disciplinary campaign to protect the organization from federal efforts to eliminate the organization’s eligibility for federal programs that integrates government relations, communications, organizing, and digital elements.
- Serve as a strategic advisor and technical expert to senior members of the organization, including the VP, Government Affairs; SVP of Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy; Planned Parenthood President & CEO, as well as various senior leaders overseeing the advocacy and operations of the entire federation.
- Serve as an expert external spokesperson for the organization on reproductive health care and transformational opportunities within a changing health care landscape.
- Lead collaborative approach to policy work with Congress and the Administration with 30+ reproductive health coalition allies.
- Manage technical assistance to affiliates on federal policy and operations issues.
- Lead the organization’s advocacy to advance policy goals through regulation and other administrative actions, including comments on proposed regulations, leverage congressional support, and direct advocacy.
- Report to the Vice President for Government Relations and Public Policy.
- Manage a dynamic team of approximately 10 health care policy experts and staff.
- Manage the development and administration of combined budgets of approximately $XX Million, assuring budget targets are met.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years experience working in federal policy with a focus on public health, health finance and reproductive health care.
- Demonstrated track record of setting clear priorities and success in driving a strong, results-oriented agenda that ties back to PPFA’s long-term goals and strategy.
- Available in off-hours for rapid response and crisis communications.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent organizational, management, and communication skills.
- Strong understanding of legislative process, administrative process, and reproductive health issues.
- Very strong verbal and interpersonal skills, including the ability to clearly articulate reproductive health issues and advocacy issues.
- Commitment to quality, results and superior performance.
- Knowledge of diverse groups with a multicultural work force and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals; able to resolve conflict when key stakeholders having differing points of view. Comfortable in ambiguity; able to create clarity and understanding.
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment; a nimble and flexible style.
- Unflappable in times of crisis; able to successfully lead individuals and teams in times of rapid response.
- Able to lead diverse teams with different departmental cultures and operating styles.
- Able to anticipate challenges, manage stressful situations in a fluid and fast-paced environment, and quickly implement course corrections when necessary.
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion.
- Deep appreciation for mission of PPFA.
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence.
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.