Director, State Campaigns
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and effective Director, State Campaigns. The Director of State Campaigns helps to lead the Campaigns Team. This team’s purpose is to win victories for reproductive health care in states and nationally. This includes protections expansion and improved quality of sexual and reproductive health care in states and nationally. The full team has three Directors who work together to manage a team of Regional Campaign Directors, Regional Campaign Managers, and Constituency Campaign programs. This team works hand and glove with and in-state Planned Parenthood affiliates and local advocacy and political organizations to advance a shared agenda. This position reports to the National Campaigns Director.
Specifically, this position manages a team of strategists who provide support for organizing, communications, policy, and political programs of Planned Parenthood affiliates and advocacy organizations across the United States. They also lend tactical support and management to national and statewide electoral campaigns and legislative initiatives. The Director will develop and implement strategic campaign plans to demonstrate our grassroots power and win campaigns to protect and expand access to reproductive health care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strategize and implementation of Planned Parenthood Votes national independent expenditure electoral program. Specifically managing a team to conduct the overall execution of strategies around deployment of staff, applying research to program strategy in states, negotiating turf and universes, sharpening in state earned media plans, volunteer program growth and management of vendors to achieve program. Oversee compliance in partnership with the management and operations team.
- Manage the successful implementation of the electoral federal congressional, and state legislative campaigns by representing the campaigns team in one or more cross departmental/cross divisional teams including, Federal campaigns in target states, State campaigns team, Supreme Court case and nomination fights; and cross movement campaigns.
- Support Regional Campaign Team in conducting strategic campaign planning with Planned Parenthood affiliates and their related advocacy and political organizations in order to create the conditions that would support an expanded Planned Parenthood health care footprint, heightened capacity, ambitious goals for supporter growth, public policy accomplishments, and the advocacy and political organizations’ electoral victories.
- Provide strategic guidance on campaign development, grantmaking, and evaluation of state and federal campaigns.
- Manage at least two members of the Regional Campaigns Directors.
- Support the National Campaign Director as required.
- Connect and leverage other national office departments and divisions in delivering support to affiliates and state offices, including Development, Data, Digital and Communications.
- Assist in the development and on-site facilitation of national meetings including national trainings, conferences and events throughout the country.
- Maintain current and accurate files, track affiliate and state office activity to provide weekly reports, and monitor work-related financial expenditures.
- Travel throughout the US and to national meetings/conferences.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 10 years of progressive campaign and/or organizing work experience.
- Must be able to work effectively with leaders from associated affiliates in region. A track record of creating and maintaining strong work relationships with a diverse set of colleagues is required.
- Must be able to motivate staff as well as teammates and colleagues who are not directly accountable to you.
- Experience as a grassroots organizer; adept at consulting, advising, and training others to increase grassroots activities and strategies (volunteer or paid campaign experience is highly useful and valuable).
- Proven ability and fluency in long term power-building with a movement lens.
- Proficient trainer and communicator and possess assessment and analytical skills that allow effective coaching and consulting.
- Ability to identify priorities, work independently and develop tactics for addressing issues or requests and extensive knowledge of public policies at the state and federal level.
- Experience in a campaign/advocacy environment working with diverse communities preferred.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- tay ahead of all organizing trends and be able to lend not only knowledge, but also expertise about the latest trends. This is particularly true of the use of technology to manage large lists of identified supporters and the internet to mobilize those supporters.
- Fluency in racial equity frameworks and proven track record of working with diverse communities.
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours as needed.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.