Director, Medical Standards Implementation
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Medical Services /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a Director of Medical Standards Implementation. This job reports to the Senior Director, Medical Services in the Medical Services Department in the Quality Care and Health Equity Department of the Health Care Division of PPFA. The Medical Services Department is dedicated to supporting Planned Parenthood affiliates in the delivery of high-quality health care.
- Provides leadership and collaboration to increase quality, safety, equity and consistency of affiliate clinical care through the enhancement and oversight of Medical Services’ clinical services implementation and training programs. Provides clinical leadership expertise to critical strategic priorities for the Healthcare Division.
- Builds and oversees a needs-based clinical services training and education program; leads training and education initiatives for affiliate clinical staff, including federation-wide virtual and live activities
- Conducts periodic professional development needs assessments of affiliate licensed and non-licensed staff; identifies educational opportunities; reviews and consolidates training resources
- Establishes and maintains external strategic partnerships to enhance federation capacity for clinician training and leverage Planned Parenthood’s competency-based health care
- Collaborates cross-divisionally and with affiliates to drive and support clinical education and training initiatives (i) to enhance affiliate accreditation performance, clinical quality and health equity and (ii) to support engagement and professional development
- Partners with Affiliate Risk Management Services (ARMS) on priority clinical training projects
- Investigates and applies for funding opportunities specific to clinical training and education
- Leads all continuing education (CME/CE) application processes
- Leads the development and dissemination of implementation resources to enhance affiliate provision of clinical services and implementation of the Medical Standards and Guidelines; leads cross-departmental teams for implementation support
- Conducts or oversees evaluations of Medical Services products and deliverables; delivers or oversees publication and presentation of findings
- Oversees the work of the Clinical Advisory Committee (CAC); oversees the Manager, Medical Standards in planning and implementation of CAC meetings, CAC membership process, and dissemination of CAC recommendations
- Oversees Medical Services intranet resources to ensure they are up to date and relevant; conducts periodic needs assessment of users; identifies and addresses areas for improvement
- Under the direction of Senior Director, Medical Services, and in collaboration with Director, Medical Standards, lends expertise to the development, revision, and expansion of the Medical Standards and Guidelines; participates in the planning and implementation of the annual meeting of the National Medical Committee
- Leads and participates in cross-departmental and cross-federation projects, initiatives, and task forces to further Federation strategic goals and to enhance the quality of care at affiliates.
- Under the direction of the Senior Director of Medical Services, serves as a clinical subject matter expert and resource to affiliates, other departments within PPFA, and partner organizations; provides input and guidance to a wide range of PPFA staff and external partners about issues related to clinical care; serves as a spokesperson for PPFA on clinical issues
- Supervises Medical Services staff, as needed
- Completes other duties, as assigned.
- Regularly interacts with staff of all levels in other departments and divisions, and at affiliates, as well as a wide variety of professionals and professional organizations external to Planned Parenthood, including:
- National Office staff from other departments and divisions; will work most closely with staff from the following departments: Accreditation & Evaluation, CAPS, Communications, Development, Education and Training, Experience, Health Care Operations, Public Health Outcomes Improvement, and Research & Evaluation
- Affiliate clinical leadership including Medical Directors, lead clinicians, clinician trainers, Clinical Quality Improvement staff, and other licensed and non-licensed clinical staff
- National medical experts from partner organizations in the sexual and reproductive health and related fields
- Affiliate Risk Management Services National Medical Committee (standing medical advisory committee to PPFA Medical Services comprised of national medical experts)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education/Credentials: RN, Advanced Practice Nurse, Physician Assistant, MD or DO required.
- Experience: More than seven years of recent directly related, progressively responsible professional experience in a clinical environment. Experience in a Planned Parenthood affiliate desirable.
- Knowledge and experience with instructional design, adult learning, and training and learning design strongly preferred.
- Understanding of systems of oppression that lead to poor health outcomes (including but not limited to structural racism, white supremacy, and heteropatriarchy) is required; experience working with communities of color preferred
- Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and exhibiting sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Knowledge of the PPFA Medical Standards & Guidelines and core services provided by Planned Parenthood affiliates strongly preferred.
- Must be a self-starter with ability to work with little supervision leading multiple, complex projects and timelines.
- Must have excellent judgment and strong organizational, problem solving, and planning skills.
- Must have excellent oral communication skills and be adept at presenting to large audiences.
- Must have excellent written communication skills with ability to develop clear, concise clinical guidance and useful evidence-based resources.
- Must have ability to develop tools and programs across a variety of platforms.
- Experience facilitating teleconferences and large and small in-person meetings.
- Must have understanding of and experience implementing and evaluating clinical services with a health equity lens.
- Comfort learning new technologies. Excellent computer skills with ability to use, among others, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Pro, Smartsheet, SurveyGizmo and webinar platforms.
- Must be able to perform literature searches.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must be able to lead groups as well as be a team player.
- Must be flexible.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Must be comfortable working with telecommuters.
- Must recognize the value of diversity and maintain relationships with staff and external audiences that respect individual dignity.
- Approximately 10-20%
Starting Salary: $135K
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer