Manager, Public Policy, Government Relations
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Public Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
PPFA seeks a dynamic and effective individual to support the public policy team by creating and implementing systems to move forward cross-departmental work, maintaining a small policy portfolio, and providing research, writing, analysis and project management support to the Director of Public Policy and key team members and consultants to achieve the public policy department’s overall goals. This position will play a critical role in managing large policy team projects, tracking progress toward the goals of the public policy team, as well as cross-departmental plans, driving forward key streams of work with minimal direction, managing critical portfolios of work, providing assistance and expertise to Planned Parenthood affiliates, and ensuring coordination between members of the government relations team and other cross-departmental teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive forward multiple streams of work and varying projects while ensuring smooth cross-departmental work, including facilitating meetings, facilitating affiliate information-sharing and engagement, and overseeing the production of internal communications systems and memos.
- Provide policy team support by serving as a systems and project structures manager for teamwide plans and goals, including by developing, updating, and utilizing tools and resources to propel work forward.
- Support work of Senior Director and other Policy Team leadership by managing large cross-team, affiliate-facing, and coalition projects.
- Develop systems for information sharing and tracking including clear ways to consistently track and uplift wins and progress toward goals.
- Meaningfully contribute to the implementation of effective, policy strategies by serving as a bridge within the Government Relations team and to other departments and divisions.
- Maintain a small policy portfolio, tracking developments in health policy, including federal and state regulations, guidance, and legislation; evaluate and communicate their impact on access to women’s health care and reproductive health services orally and in writing.
- Serve as project manager on work to update and create resources and organize convenings for internal and external audiences.
- Contribute to the development of strategies to make progress on designated policy portfolio and provide technical assistance and strategic advice to Planned Parenthood affiliates in their efforts to improve access to health care at the state level.
- Coordinate agendas and notes for team meetings and assist Senior Director and other Policy Team leadership in department–wide endeavors, including team retreats and goal planning sessions and driving necessary follow-up coming out of those meetings.
- Support the senior team in facilitating department planning and long-term project coordination, including team-wide work plans, long-term strategies, and goal planning.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues, both providing and soliciting, input on program and policy development.
- Represent the organization in engagements with affiliates, coalition members, and other stakeholders to help in navigating policy implementations.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-5 years coordinator, project manager or other related experience.
- Experience in sexual and reproductive health care policy or related area preferred.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Team player that can contribute to multiple projects managed by different colleagues with competing deadlines.
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability identify priorities, meet deadlines, drive work forward, and show progress towards goals, and to work independently and collaboratively.
- Passion for health care and PPFA’s mission.
- 10% or less domestic travel
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.