Senior Associate General Counsel Corporate & Privacy Officer
New York, NY /
Office of the Senior Vice President & General Counsel (OGC) – Office of the SVP General Counsel /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Senior Associate General Counsel and Corporate Privacy Officer will provide advice and counsel to business partners, including senior leadership teams. As the attorney principally charged with supporting information technology and information security initiatives, data-driven initiatives and leading organizational privacy compliance, the Senior Associate General Counsel and Corporate Privacy Officer shall have extensive subject matter expertise in federal and state privacy laws, including the Heath Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and knowledge of major international privacy laws and intellectual property law. The ideal candidate will have experience designing and implementing an organizational privacy compliance program.
The Senior Associate General Counsel and Corporate Privacy Officer will also have extensive experience drafting and negotiating agreements, with an emphasis on information technology and information security and data use subject areas.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Education: Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school.
- Bar Admission: Must be admitted to practice and in good standing in New York or the District of Columbia.
- Legal Experience: Ten or more years as a practicing attorney in the areas of privacy law and corporate and transactional law. Sophisticated and substantive experience advising complex health care or technology clients as in-house counsel and/or at a law firm is preferred.
- Substantive expertise in federal and state privacy and intellectual property laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of international privacy laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of corporate and/or general non-for-profit corporate and governance matters.
- Knowledge of corporate transaction and contracting processes, including drafting, reviewing, revising and negotiating complex agreements.
- Assessing, structuring and mitigating the risks of programs, projects and policy initiatives relating to information technology and information security, ideally in a health care setting. Experience with legal issues pertaining to electronic health records a plus.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent judgment and proven experience analyzing risks and making risk determinations.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to think strategically about both the creative and execution processes.
- Experience in positively and successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of stakeholders across organizational lines.
- Strong leadership, emotional intelligence, political savviness skills and ability to interface with tact and diplomacy at all levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to both partner with and provide guidance to business partners, including executive and senior leadership members, as well as board committee members, throughout the organization.
- A thoughtful, articulate and effective communicator who can distill and articulate the important aspects of any legal or regulatory issue to a wide audience.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex and matrixed professional environment.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Seasoned facilitator with strong presentation skills.
- Ability to provide sound business advice as well as reliable legal counsel.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, highly innovative, rapidly changing environment.
Starting Salary: $150k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer