Associate Director, Media, Health & Education
New York, NY
Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Associate Director, Media, Health & Education to develop and implement media and communications strategies to promote Planned Parenthood as the nation’s leading provider of sexual and reproductive health care and education, and to help advance health care, education, and advocacy goals. Use the media to educate and engage the public and key audiences in relevant health, education, health care innovation, and prevention issues. Strategically respond to breaking news and potential threats to Planned Parenthood’s brand, and to provide communications support and strategy as needed for the organization’s health care, sex education, digital, and arts and entertainment work, this position will report to the Director of Health Communications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working closely with the Director of Health Communications and the Associate Director of Public Health, develop and execute strategic media plans to inform key audiences on sexual and reproductive health issues and promote Planned Parenthood Federation of America as a trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health care, health information, and sex education. Working with health media staff and other PPFA departments, support Director of Health Communications through project management of health public awareness campaigns, including advance strategizing and post-campaign debriefs.
- Create and implement media and communications strategies on health care, education, and prevention issues – both long-lead proactive pitching and responding to and shaping breaking news.
- Identify innovative national and local programs that will help tell the story of Planned Parenthood’s mission and accomplishments as a leading, forward-thinking health care provider and sex educator, and secure coverage of them in national media.
- Working closely with the Education, Digital Products, and OAS teams, develop messages and communications strategies to elevate our education work and efforts to expand access to information and health care, launch new projects and products, and promote our role as the nation’s largest sex educator and leading provider of sexual and reproductive health care.
- Working closely with the Arts and Entertainment Director and affiliate and national staff, develop content and strategies to improve pop culture treatment of health care, education, and prevention issues and promote Planned Parenthood across media, including increased reach and relationships with entertainment media and managing PPFA presence at industry events.
- As part of the Abortion Stigma Team, develop and execute strategies to help people talk about abortion in accurate, non-stigmatizing ways, help people recognize abortion stigma, and move the organization forward on reducing abortion stigma internally and externally.
- Working closely with the Planned Parenthood Experience and Immersive Experience teams, develop messages and communications strategy to elevate PPX work, launch new projects and products, and promote immersive experience films.
- Position Planned Parenthood’s medical, education, digital, and research leaders as key experts for national media, including elevating the public profile of the President and the Vice President of Education.
- Identify and develop tools and strategies to support Planned Parenthood affiliates use the media to advance their health care, education, and prevention work.
- In partnership with national staff, consultants, and affiliates one-on-one, help monitor and manage crisis communication situations locally and nationally, as well as affiliate structural changes, to protect Planned Parenthood’s trusted brand.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists. Identify journalists and outlets that reach new and diverse audiences, develop plans to deepen relationships with them.
- Draft various media materials, including press releases, advisories, talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, fact sheets, and briefings.
- Coordinate with relevant PPFA departments to ensure that team media strategies and materials reflect broader goals related to health and education.
- Work with HR to interview, select, and hire new Health and Education staff, and oversee their onboarding.
- Directly supervise the Health and Education Press Officer and the NY-based Media Assistant.
- Provide oversight and direction, delegate duties, and mentor and develop staff, including providing career development opportunities. Provide effective, regular feedback on employees’ performance.
- Manage the preparation of reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track and highlight strategic team accomplishments.
- Responsible for staffing and prepping for medical, education, and technology spokespeople as needed.
- Recommends modification of activities or procedures to improve effectiveness or efficiency
- Help manage the Health Media budget.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- BA degree, plus related college courses or professional training.
- 5+ years of experience working directly with media outlets, reporters, and partner organizations.
- Must possess excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Must write and edit proficiently and quickly, and have extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media, including print, online, and broadcast.
- Strong understanding of sexual and reproductive health issues.
- Experience with project management and media strategy. Must a team player able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and remain calm under pressure.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Promotes and reinforces intersectional issues and race equity as a core value of Planned Parenthood.
- Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.