Temporary Relational Organizing Manager
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Organizing and Electoral Campaigns Department seeks a dynamic and effective Relational Organizing Manager. Reporting to the Director of Digital Organizing, the right candidate will plan, implement, and scale Planned Parenthood’s relational organizing activities through our work on the census, state legislative fights, and the 2020 election. The person in this position will work cross divisionally with leaders in the field (including our Youth Organizing team, Latinx organizing team, Patient Advocacy team, National Organizing team, and Planned Parenthood affiliates and local Planned Parenthood political organizations) to develop and implement training for local staff in order to integrate relational organizing and our new relational organizing tools into our campaigns through affiliate, local Planned Parenthood political organization, and national distributed campaigns.
This role is tentatively scheduled to run from September, 2019 through December, 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with the Digital Organizing Director to develop the strategic vision for Planned Parenthood’s relational organizing program.
- Manage the implementation of Planned Parenthood’s relational organizing program, integrating relational organizing into existing and future campaigns and supporting adoption by local staff.
- Develop and run relational organizing trainings with national, affiliate, and local Planned Parenthood political organization staff to integrate tactics, tools, and goals into all levels of organizing.
- Proactively escalate issues, observations, opportunities, and insights to the Digital Organizing Director.
- Oversee the goal setting, reporting, and execution of the relational organizing program to expand the impact of our organizing programs.
- Expanding the impact of volunteer-led campaigns on birth control, abortion access, sex-ed, healthcare, reproductive justice, the census, and the 2020 election.
- Work with local staff and the Regional Campaigns Directors to develop goals and implement volunteer electoral programs for voter registration, persuasion, and GOTV through on-the-ground tactics relational organizing efforts in target states.
- Travel as needed to support local staff across the country.
- Support the development and execution of an optimization and testing program for Planned Parenthood’s relational organizing campaigns including managing the execution of organizing experiments to improve Planned Parenthood’s ability to achieve change.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5-7 years of related experience in digital advocacy, electoral campaigns, grassroots organizing, or project management with a focus on peer-to-peer “relational” organizing, volunteer engagement and racial equity. Not-for-profit management experience and electoral experience are a plus.
- 2-3 years managing staff and/or volunteers.
- 3-5 years of experience managing complex projects.
- Experience with horizontal leadership.
- Experience with relational organizing tactics, strategies, and tools.
- Experience with online advocacy and political campaigns.
- Experience mobilizing volunteers from online to offline events.
- Experience executing or managing volunteer efforts for electoral campaigns including voter registration, persuasion, and GOTV.
- Experience with the use of mass email, SMS, and peer-to-peer texting programs for volunteer engagement.
- Experience developing and running volunteer trainings and trainings for trainers.
- Experience implementing new programs or culture change projects in large organizations or networks.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Comfortable managing competing priorities with grace.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and unflappable in times of crisis and high stress.
- An intersectional communicator, thinking of how we can make the connections between issue areas and policies for diverse communities.
- Experience working with young people and communities of color for social change.
- Experience with developing metrics reports.
- Experience managing organizing experiments.
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Experience working with a multicultural workforce, with sensitivity and appreciation for cultural differences.
- A strategic and critical thinker, working closely with other Planned Parenthood departments and divisions.
- Committed to reproductive rights, health and justice.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.