Associate Director, Affiliate Clinical Operations, OAS
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – Health Care Operations /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Associate Director, Affiliate Clinical Operations, OAS serves as a clinical operations subject matter expert and works with Healthcare Operations, Digital Products, and other subject matter experts to analyze affiliate data and operations, and guide decisions pertaining to online scheduling. The position is responsible for providing consulting, technical assistance, training, and team leadership to affiliates in the areas of operations, online appointment scheduling, clinical productivity analysis, practice management, customer service, medical management, and financial analysis as well as coordinates the efforts of other team members for engagement where they are the lead. The Associate Director will develop implementation and operational plans, inclusive of PPFA KPI’s, to be used Federation wide, in close partnership with affiliates in implementing these plans and metrics, and the development of tools, trainings and systems for affiliates to promote best practices in these clinical operations areas, working under the leadership of the Director and Senior Director.
The Associate Director will lead and serve as part of the teams offering consultative support to Planned Parenthood affiliates for the above areas with a particular focus on online appointment scheduling (OAS). As part of an initiative to increase access to sexual and reproductive health care, the Associate Director may lead and/or support programs designed to improve efficiency, reduce cycle times and improve patient and staff experience. This position will primarily partner with the OAS team and OAS vendors around digital initiatives to evaluate affiliate appropriateness/readiness to add OAS services, improve the efficiency and optimization of OAS, and support a national strategy for OAS optimization to improve operations, access, and patient experience. The Associate Director will identify strategies to ensure that both family planning and abortion services are prioritized in all EHR systems used at all Planned Parenthood affiliates.
This position will partner with other PPFA and external stakeholders, to integrate HCO programming with other initiatives such as the Team Centered Patient Care, telehealth, FAB, and other projects as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as a clinical operations subject matter expert on the interdisciplinary Digital Products and Online Appointment Scheduling teams to offer operational support for the Online Appointment Scheduling initiative including assessment of OAS implementation readiness, implementation of OAS products, operationalization and integration of OAS, improvement of efficiency and optimization, technical assistance, and other operational consulting needs.
- Serves as a primary operational subject matter expert to support Digital Products and external vendors in the development and implementation of tools and dashboards in including OAS implementation, technical assistance, and other resources.
- Provides training, technical assistance and consulting to affiliates on all aspects of clinical operations including online appointment scheduling, productivity, patient flow, health center design, staffing, scheduling, customer service, and clinical care with a goal of optimal delivery in achieving measurable performance improvements.
- Works with multiple PPFA departments, teams and stakeholders to identify and adapt program specific quantifiable measures and outcomes for analysis.
- Assists in developing methodology, metrics and measuring standards for specified initiatives.
- Assists in developing tools and processes for monitoring impacts and outcomes of initiatives and/or sustainability models.
- Collaborates in the development and implementation of methodologies, tools and guidance.
- Drafts reports and presentations based on analysis; may act as presenter or assist in presentations.
- Provide expertise and leadership to participating affiliates around sustainability planning, building programming, and operational improvements.
- Contributes to the development of tools to help affiliates monitor and analyze clinical operations costs, capacity, productivity and viability. Assists affiliates with producing standard management reports on a regular basis to include metrics that evaluate the clinical operations and efficiency. Implements systems for monitoring project performance, including evaluation tools to measure outcomes.
- As assigned, attends conferences to further knowledge of industry standards and strategies regarding patient and employee engagement to further enhance HCO initiatives.
- Keeps abreast of relevant medical and managed care issues and health care trends.
- Works collaboratively with the staff of the other units in the Healthcare Operations Team in a way that supports the strategic and operational objectives of the department and involves Business Operations consultants from other functional areas as needed.
- Identifies best practices, both through internal and external learning and investigation, and translates these best practices to the team for incorporation into project work. Adjusts approaches to reach desired outcomes.
- Participates in cross-functional national office teams requiring expertise around affiliate IT and operational requirements, environment and challenges. Triages affiliate calls and requests for assistance regarding clinical operations and related areas.
- Keeps current with the Accreditation Indicators and EOP's in order to help affiliates meet these standards and to be consistent with other departments at PPFA in guidance provided to affiliates.
- Solves complex problems, often critical issues that affect the affiliates. Provides management with recommendations and strategies to enact change.
- Carries out other assignments or special projects as assigned and required.
- Promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values of PPFA and work with others in a culturally competent way.
Requirements and Technical Expertise
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required as well as professional training in business administration, public health or health care operations.
- A minimum of 8 to 10 years' experience; preferably related to healthcare operations, healthcare consulting, or related clinical management services with 3 to 5 years of experience directly related to scheduling in a healthcare setting.
- Planned Parenthood experience preferred
- Strong computer and data processing skills with proficiency in excel and google sheets formulas and functions
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
Personal Qualities / Other Attributes
- Knowledge of health center operations
- Knowledge of patient scheduling in an online environment.
- Demonstrable skills in change management, facilitation and coaching, analytic thinking and problem solving.
- Strong project management and business analysis skills.
- Sophisticated knowledge of medical practice management, quality assurance and customer service.
- Ability to recognize and respond to problems with potential solutions and possible negotiations in a highly professional, confidential and sensitive manner.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem solving and negotiation skills required.
- Excellent skills in writing, public speaking, training, financial analysis, operation analysis and metrics development.
- Excellent customer service orientation.
- Self-motivator with ability to control own schedule and an Independent decision maker when needed.
- Unflappable in times of crisis and high stress.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Gravitas paired with professional integrity and ambition to effectively represent and promote PPFA externally at the highest levels.
- A zest for the mission of PPFA and the role of health provision and advocacy that translates to an unflinching commitment to exception work product
- Have familiarity and experience working with the diverse communities Planned Parenthood serves, including an appreciation for the assets of each community and understanding of the institutional barriers to health care that currently exist.
- Ability to thrive in a remote work environment
- Ability and stamina to travel up to 50% time.
- Willingness and ability to travel 25-50% of the time, as needed, throughout the United States.
Starting Salary: 95k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer