Senior Director, Future of Abortion Access
Health Care – Emergency Preparedness and Response
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Senior Director, Future of Abortion Access (FAB) will lead the overall coordination of the PPFA cross-divisional workstream ensuring ongoing access to abortion care across the country. The position will manage relationships with external affiliate partners and key internal stakeholders and provide strategic thought partnership to the National Director, Emergency Preparedness and Response. This position will work strategically to develop priorities and engage stakeholders productively based on the priorities and goals of the FAB project. This position will coordinate closely with FAB project planners and workstream owners to ensure that deadlines are developed and met within the scope of existing resources. In particular, the Senior Director, FAB will lead PPFA’s relationship to the FAB CEO Advisory Committee by building joint priorities, convening productive meetings and managing ongoing CEO relationships.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- High-Level Federation Coordination for the ongoing Future of Abortion Access Emergency Response
- Under the direction of the National Director, Emergency Preparedness and Response, lead CEO engagement for the FAB project, translating ideas and intentions into actions and results.
- Map, track and develop important relationships with internal and external stakeholders including senior leaders, the PPFA board, affiliate leadership, and workstream owners/subject matter experts
- Formulate and track actions coming out of the FAB CEO Advisory Committee; synthesize opportunities as well as translate abstract thinking into concrete steps
- Develop a strategic approach to the goals and objectives of the FAB project, through input, feedback and option development, to coordinate communication of the FAB strategic vision and alignment with the overall strategy, priorities and mission
- Follow through on key actions, help move key initiatives forward, thereby magnifying and extending the initiative’s impact
- Lead the development of reports and decision points to the FAB Executive Sponsor committee, advocating for continuous patient-centered communication
- Communicate the story of FAB in a compelling way to diverse groups of stakeholders
- In partnership with the FAB CEO Advisory co-chairs, develop agendas and meeting content for monthly co-chair and full committee meetings, including development of presentation decks, talking points, and logistics.
- Organize and provide information and deliverables for the FAB CEO Advisory Committee Co-chairs, enabling them to be productive, strategic, and useful with their time and responsibilities.
- Provide partner CEOs with input, feedback and options in support of the goals and objectives of the FAB project, ensuring coordinated communication of the FAB strategic vision and alignment with the overall strategy, priorities and mission.
- Ensure the FAB CEO Advisory Committee’s strong point of view is represented and drive progress toward both the FAB and the committee’s goals. This includes, but is not limited to, innovation, influencer engagement, conferences.
- Initiate the creation of presentation content and talking points for affiliate CEO stakeholder engagement, including ACEC, affiliate board, donors and other external audiences.
- Based on FAB’s stated patient-centered goals and commitment to equity, particularly racial equity, continually administer work in order to hold FAB accountable to those goals.
- Build regular check-ins across FAB work in order to measure work in these areas.
- Support the continual education and growth of FAB stakeholders in these areas to help continually build excellence and commitment.
- Create the the monthly FAB Transparency memo, ensuring that it is inclusive of the appropriate information and is sent in a timely and impactful fashion.
- Launch, oversee and maintain the FAB Intranet page, ensuring that all published material is available and easily accessible by affiliate CEOs and/or the appropriate audience.
- Develop materials for meetings and conferences and for affiliate use for boards and staff in collaboration with subject matter experts, workstream owners and the National Director.
Management of the FAB CEO Advisory Committee
Provide strategic thought leadership to FAB stakeholders with patient-centered advocacy and a strong commitment to equity, particularly racial equity.
Work across all FAB stakeholders to create unified documentation and clear communication materials.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Six to eight years’ experience, including supervisory and project management.
- Deep systems thinking and an ability to build and drive impactful process, setting clear priorities and work plans.
- Strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- An understanding of complex organizational structures, healthcare & strategic priorities.
- Ability to identify and navigate ways forward in challenging situations.
- Strong oral and written communicator able to frame and articulate points of view to different types of audiences.
- Experience and comfort to navigate ambiguity.
- Track record of project management.
- Demonstrated success in driving a strong, results-oriented agenda that ties back to PPFA’s long-term goals and strategy.
- Ability to quickly determine which problems and challenges can be resolved independently and those that require further attention.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Unflappable in face of crisis or high stress situations.
- Proactive self-starter.
- Proven discretion and judgment in handling sensitive and confidential topics.
- Insightful and creative thinker able to see the forest for the trees.
- Team player willing to tackle challenges both big and small.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.