Associate Director, National Board Affairs
Office of the General Counsel – Office of the SVP General Counsel
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective our Associate Director, National Board Affairs, reporting to the National Director, Membership and Board Affairs. This individual will provide governance and planning support to the boards of directors of all Planned Parenthood National Office entities, including PPFA, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Inc. (Action Fund) and Planned Parenthood Global, Inc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To ensure that the Planned Parenthood National Office entities are governed in accordance with applicable laws, their respective bylaws and best practices.
- To ensure that meetings of the Boards of Directors of the Planned Parenthood National Office are conducted regularly.
- To ensure that any matter requiring awareness of, input from or approval by a Board is presented to the Board in a timely manner with sufficient information and time for the matter to be properly considered.
- To ensure that Board members understand their duties and functions and are provided with the appropriate information and engagement for them to fulfill those duties and functions.
- In coordination with Events and Conferences, Facilities and Information Technology, to ensure that all logistics for Board meetings are in place.
- Deliver an organized and informative experience for directors at least 4 Board meetings each year.
- Deliver an informal record and formal minutes of every meeting of a Board.
- Deliver 2 orientation sessions for new PPFA and Action Fund directors.
- Deliver Principal staff support of PPFA Governance Committee & Action Fund Nominating Committee.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- Command of PPFA and Action Fund bylaws and Board committee charters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills, including planning, budgeting, time management and problem resolution.
- Familiarity with Planned Parenthood’s corporate structure and an understanding of the implications for governance of the various entities.
- Familiarity with parliamentary procedure.
- Familiarity with regulations applicable to different entity types and tax statuses.
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, presentation, spreadsheet, database, and form creation, and charting software.
- Meeting planning experience.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Independent problem solver of complex and non-routine situations.
- Willing to take end-to-end responsibility for design, implementation and execution of projects within leanly staffed team.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to provide governance guidance as well as customer service support to Board members.
- Able to partner with and provide strong guidance to colleagues at all levels of the organization.
- Comfortable leading and working with multicultural workforce; sensitivity to and appreciation of differences in background, culture and experience.
- Able to take initiative, meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, and maintain focus on identified goals and objectives.
- Able to identify and effectively communicate to leadership issues that are impeding their ability to achieve their job deliverables and deadlines.
- Able to work, learn, and quickly adapt under pressure in a fast-paced, highly innovative, rapidly changing environment.
- Comfortable with technology and committed to developing paper-reduced work processes.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.