2020 Summer Intern-Education
New York, NY
Health Care – Education
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The application window closes on January 26, 2020.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic 2020 Education Summer Intern. This job reports to the Associate Director, Learning Engagement and Special Projects in the Education Department of PPFA. The Education Summer Intern will provide general support in the program planning, health content development, and execution of various sex education-centered special projects within the Education Department. The intern’s primary responsibilities will align with departmental priorities and utilize pedagogical, intersectional, and health literacy best practices to ensure high quality educational programs and content.
The Education Department supports our organizational mission to provide care, no matter what, by driving education and learning. Planned Parenthood Education strives to be strengths-based, sex-positive, inclusive, medically accurate, trauma-informed, engaging, evidence-informed, encompassing of the full spectrum of sexuality, and developmentally appropriate across the lifespan.
The program runs from June 1st 2020 to August 14th 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the program planning and development of a new Youth Advisory Board for PPFA’s digital sex education programs.
- Support project goals using youth-adult partnership and participatory approaches to ensure successful implementation.
- Support development of recruitment and application process, as well as framework and structure of this new program.
- Project coordination to ensure adherence to timeline and goals.
- Perform preliminary research and needs assessment to identify opportunities for sustainability in HIV prevention work across the Federation, specifically geared towards cisgender and transgender women of color. Support the rollout of an HIV-centered public health campaign
- Analyze gaps in online educational content and collaborate with the Learning Strategy team to solution-build.
- Provide general support of other sex education-centered special projects.
- Other duties as needed.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Master’s candidate (MPH, MSW, or similar).
- 1 year relevant experience.
- Coursework or professional experience in sexual and reproductive health, youth development, health promotion, and/or program planning preferred.
- The ideal candidate has strong communication skills (written, spoken, presentation), knowledge of pedagogy, knowledge of sexual and reproductive health topics, and a strong attention to detail.
- Interest in sex education, digital/health communications, reproductive justice, racial justice, and/or public health more generally.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline – “Care. No matter what.” as it applies to how we treat our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- A strong commitment and understanding of the mission of Planned Parenthood and a passion for sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice.
- Ability to think analytically and take initiative.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
To be considered for this internship you must attach a current resume, cover letter stating your interest.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.