Temp, Patient Advocacy Coordinator
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Patient Advocacy Programs is a national program that seeks to engage health center visitors and communities in non-partisan advocacy work and volunteer opportunities to strengthen Planned Parenthood’s ties to the communities we serve. This position will work with the PAP manager to provide trainings, materials, resources and support to the national Patient Advocacy Program and also to affiliate health center advocacy programs across the country. The ideal candidate is high energy, thrives in a fast-pace work environment, learns quickly, can think on their feet and work with a wide variety of people from different backgrounds. Must be able to multi-task and have an community organizing or a grassroots engagement background.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in creating training modules on a variety of organizing tactics related to patient advocacy, including storytelling, voter registration, volunteer recruitment, management and more.
- Coordinating logistics and technical support for all in person trainings and monthly webinars.
- Works with Planned Parenthood storytellers and patient advocacy spokespeople as needed to engage in national and local advocacy campaigns.
- Manages the Patient Advocacy leadership body.
- Consults Planned Parenthood affiliates on developing canvassing projects and implementing Patient Advocacy Campaigns.
- Travel to facilitate Patient Advocacy Program Trainings with Planned Parenthood affiliates.
- Assist in coordinating grants for the program, including interfacing with finance and legal departments.
- Manages data for the program, working closely with data team to ensure all PAP data is reported accurately.
- Manages creation of all PAP materials relevant to current issues and campaigns, including materials for canvass operations and sign up cards.
- 1 to 2 years experience in issue-advocacy, health equity, community organizing or grassroots engagement.
- Must be a self-starter with strong communication and interpersonal skills; strong commitment to internal and external customer service.
- Ability to create and implement tracking systems is a must.
- Experience working in diverse communities with extensive knowledge of diversity and inclusion, and sensitivity/appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- Commitment to adhering to guidelines and procedures, attention to detail, showing progress towards goals, and follow-through.
- Computer, writing and reporting skills is a must.
- 2 to 4 years of experience preferred.
PERSONAL QUALITIES/OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Experience working at a Planned Parenthood affiliate is a major plus.
- Knowledge of advocacy, public policy issues and state legislative process are preferred.
- Storytelling experience is preferred.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.