Associate Policy Counsel
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Litigation & Law
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
PPL&L represents PPFA and Planned Parenthood affiliates in matters that affect the mission of the organization. We conduct litigation in state and federal courts across the country and provide legal advice to PPFA and Planned Parenthood affiliates about issues such as pending legislation, regulatory matters, and activities of those opposed to Planned Parenthood that interfere with our ability to provide comprehensive reproductive health care.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Associate Policy Counsel for a two-year fellowship. The Associate Policy Counsel is a junior position with PPL&L. Reporting to one of the deputy directors of PPL&L, the Associate Policy Counsel assists in the provision of technical and strategic support on state legislation and policies impacting reproductive health care services, including the ability of Planned Parenthood affiliates to deliver health care services. This position can be located in either Washington, DC or New York.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze state legislation and policies, with a specific emphasis on state level restrictions that impact Planned Parenthood’s services and mission, and proactive policies to protect and expand access to reproductive health care.
- Support the Policy Counsel and Senior Policy Counsel within PPL&L by: conducting legal research; analyzing legislation; drafting and reviewing testimony, talking points, and issue-based resources for state advocates; and working collaboratively across PPFA divisions and within national-level coalitions.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- We seek attorneys with outstanding credentials who have one to three years of legal and/or policy experience. Applicants should have strong research, writing, and communication skills.
- An established interest in reproductive health and rights issues and experience in policy or legislative advocacy preferred.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.