Manager of Spanish Learning
New York, NY
Health Care – Education
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s Education Department works to develop and strengthen innovative approaches to sex education that have the potential to scale, partners with Planned Parenthood affiliates to strengthen their programs and evaluation, collaborates with other departments to conduct large scale media and social marketing campaigns, leads federal, state, and local efforts to advance sex education, provides training expertise throughout the national office, and participates in research and evaluation efforts to determine the efficacy and effectiveness of key national office programs and interventions.
The Manager of Spanish Learning is a member of PPFA’s Department of Education Learning Strategy Team and is responsible for leading the transcreation of sexual and reproductive health education content in Spanish and managing bilingual programs. The Manager of Spanish Learning will also analyze gaps in existing education materials in Spanish, and work to bridge those gaps to make PPFA’s print and digital education offerings available in Spanish more widely. This position will report to the Director of Learning Strategy, Education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and transcreate engaging, health literate, evidence-informed, medically accurate, and educationally sound sexual and reproductive health content in Spanish and English for digital and print programs and materials.
- Ensure high standards and consistency of Spanish language health messaging through diverse channels of communication including the PlannedParenthood.org website content and interactive tools, as well as educational videos, communications, and media materials.
- Partner with the Digital Products team to support the transcreation of existing digital products into Spanish, including Chat/Text, Roo, Spot On, by ensuring they are in line with sex eduation best practices in the design, implementation, and ongoing quality assurance monitoring of the Spanish-language programs.
- Manage PPFA’s Bilingual Brochure Program: Create high quality sexual and reproductive health brochures in English and Spanish which reach an audience of 750,000 annually.
- Ascertain customer needs to ensure correct mix of topics, language approach and distribution, optimal design of brochures, and online store. Convene ongoing brochures program affiliate advisory group to capture affiliate needs and adapt the program to ensure quality service delivery.
- Manage internal staff and vendors (graphic designers, translators, illustrators, printers, and customer service staff at the warehouse) for the production and distribution of brochures by anticipating unique resource requirements for the program and negotiating optimal prices of printing, warehousing, and shipping to ensure sustainability of the program.
- Ensure smooth operations of the program, including marketing, customer service and maintenance of online storeSupport PPFA’s HIV Prevention Initiative:To better serve, educate, and build awareness around comprehensive HIV prevention for English and Spanish speaking cis and trans women of color, support in the development of evidence-informed campaign materials in English and Spanish.
- Partner with PPFA Creative and Communications Departments, as well as any external vendors, in the development, testing, and rollout of bilingual awareness campaign materials and content.
- Provide general support to create and transcreate, maintain, update, and review sexual and reproductive health content in English and Spanish for digital and print media.
- Analyze gaps in available Spanish educational materials and tools in the field and propose ways that PPFA may fill those gaps.
- Promote Planned Parenthood bilingual products at national conferences and meetings through sponsorships, tabling, and presenting.
- Expand knowledge about the fields of sexual and reproductive health and sex education by keeping abreast of current research and communicating updates.
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Master’s degree in public health, education or a related field preferred.
- 3-5 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in sexual and reproductive health content.
- Outstanding communication skills (written, spoken, presentation) in both English and Spanish, including highly developed editing skills.
- Ability to translate clinical information and medical and public health research into plain language according to health literacy best practices for English and Spanish speakers, prioritizing immigrant Spanish-speaking communities.
- Strong understanding of sexual and reproductive health interventions and behavior change theory, and ability to translate best practices to a digital space.
- Fluency in Spanish, including a familiarity with the nuances of dialects spoken in Spanish-speaking communities in the U.S.Experience developing consumer health information in both English and Spanish dialects spoken across the U.S. in Caribbean, Central, and South American Spanish-speaking communities.
- Understanding of adolescent development and ability to discern age appropriate messaging for children, adolescents, young adults, parents/caregivers, sex educators, and the general public, including culturally relevant and responsive messaging among Spanish-speaking immigrant communities.
- Previous experience providing in-person sex education preferred.
- Telecommuters will be considered for this role.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.