Administrative Manager, Government Relations
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Public Policy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Government Relations (GR) division seeks an Administrative Manager to manage the administrative affairs of the department’s executive office. Reporting to the Vice President of Government Relations & Public Policy, he/she will coordinate, oversee and/or perform a wide variety of administrative and programmatic support to the department. The position requires a highly organized, personable individual with the ability to display calmness and order in the midst of chaotic environment. The chosen candidate must be proactive, detail oriented, work well independently and as part of a team, and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage day to day operations of the Vice-President of Government Relations & Public Policy (VP) to include:
- Manage all scheduling requests of the Vice President. Collect and maintain scheduling requests, ensuring that all calendar requests are documented and appropriately reviewed, including prioritized and delegated as necessary.
- Oversees start-to-finish facilitation of all the Vice President’s meetings and commitments, including logistics, travel, meeting preparation and development, and next steps/takeaways.
- Coordinate recurring team meetings including compiling and distributing agenda in advance, logistics, note-taking, and distributions of notes post-meeting, as well as any follow up action items.
- Manage and coordinate written materials in collaboration with the VP and GR team to include:
- Oversee communication and correspondence for the Vice President. Develops initial drafts of speaking materials and presentations, and develops other background materials for the Vice President.
- Prepare written documentation that is collected from the GR team about activities, successes, and emerging program opportunities.
- Manage the overall internal communications of the GR:
- Responsible for compiling and transmitting department-wide reports including weekly communications to the Office of the President from materials drafted by the team.
- Gathering input and expertise from all stakeholders to enable GR leadership to make decisions about strategy, resources, and tactics through meetings, emails, and one on one conversations.
- Manage OVP financial systems in partnership with the GR Team and Finance:
- Conduct financial administrative processes for the Office of the Vice-President including expense tracking, processing payments for contracts and grants, and financial reconciliation for the VP and the department’s corporate card.
- Administer contract(s) processes including requesting and executing contracts and grants as well as financial document management for the department.
- Supporting financial and legal reporting process and systems around lobbying activities.
- Support additional needs of the Government Relations & Public Policy department as requested.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- Two to four years of related work experience, including senior level support.
- Government, the Hill, and/or not-for-profit experience preferred.
- Project management and administrative or advance work experience preferred.
- Strong track record of working effectively with colleagues at all levels and executing events.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Highly organized. Demonstrates a sense of ownership (and enjoys), keeping track of to-do’s
- and projects to move forward.
- Detail oriented. Able to focus on specific details and ensures accuracy in all work.
- Can-do and results-oriented approach. Has an inherent diplomatic nature, thinks constantly
- about how to make things run more efficiently, takes initiative and makes suggestions
- responsibly, responds to competing demands appropriately and with respect and discretion, and
- enjoys working with others to find a solution to a problem.
- Unflappable. Able to operate effectively and with flexibility in a constantly shifting and
- sometimes ambiguous environment and comfortable working with more senior staff. A strong
- sense of discretion and confidentiality is also required.
- Strong sense of responsibility. Dedicated to ensuring the success of the work and
- commitment to the mission of PPFA and a basic understanding of reproductive health issues.
- Excellent oral and writing skills. Expresses oneself thoughtfully and asks questions. Strong
- writer with an ability to speak in the voice of the principal over time.
- Team-oriented. Must enjoy working with a team.
- Self-motivated and curious. Willing to try new work assignments and have a creative approach
- to work.
- Ability to work with wide range of individuals. Has poise and maturity to work with high level
- individuals and people with diverse backgrounds.
- Motivated. Has the interest and ambition to take on new assignments and develop new skills.
- Inclusive. Ability to work with a wide range of constituencies and personalities across a diverse team and organization. Brings a strong appreciation for a diverse workforce and sensitivity to cultural differences.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.