Manager, Strategic Initiatives
Washington, DC /
Office of the Senior Vice President, Policy Campaigns & Advocacy (PCA) – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns /
Full Time - Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood is seeking a highly organized, effective Manager, Strategic Initiatives to support a comprehensive organizational process to assess and strategize around risks and opportunities related to political outcomes in 2020 and beyond.
PURPOSE: The goal of post-election scenario planning is to ensure that PPFA, PPAF, and local Planned Parenthood organizations are prepared to maximize the moment (both operationally and programatically) following potential outcomes of the 2020 election. This role will be responsible for supporting the Director, Strategic Initiatives in driving a process for the national office and local affiliates to do post-election and contingency planning across all facets of the organization, including (but not limited to) healthcare, advocacy, policy, communications, finance, development, safety/security, operations staff and more to ensure we have the highest level of preparedness for all possible scenarios. We are in search of a strong project manager and utility player for this role.
- Support the development a comprehensive work plan for the post-election scenarios to ensure that strategies and the resources (financial and staff) to implement them are in place by late Summer 2020
- Connect the scenario planning work seamlessly to inter-connected ongoing workstreams
- Partner with Director to identify and assess important crisis and opportunity scenarios -- with attention to PPFA’s unique role to play as a provider, advocate, narrative-driver and movement leader
- Manage research on the impacts of scenarios with key staff across the organization and outside experts
- Coordinate the development of comprehensive response plans across the organization
- Regularly schedule and convene key stakeholders, including Affiliate CEOs (esp. The ACEC Planning taskforce), National Executive Leadership Team, to select and engage scenarios and to adjust the work plan
- Develop reports, proposals and memorandums for Affiliate CEO’s, leadership, funders, movement partners and other key stakeholders
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- At least 3 years of professional experience working as a project coordinator, program manager, and/or doing similar consulting work
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects, develop work plans, and meet target goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to drive process to engage and manage people
- Strong judgment and ability to take initiative
- Commitment to gender and racial justice and social justice values.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience and comfort with working with diverse constituencies.
- Desire to work in a fast paced culture of high output, open communication, and unflappable in the face of challenges and/or principled disagreement
- Collaborative work style
- Up to 25%
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.