Development Operations Engineer
New York, NY /
Office of the EVP & Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Information Technology /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and effective Development Operations Engineer. This job reports to the Director, Development Operations & Systems.
- Development Operations Engineer collaborates with Development Operations, Software Engineering and Information Security colleagues to perform ongoing operational duties and works on medium to large scale technical projects as assigned. Main operational duties include maintenance of the PPFA web server infrastructure, configuration management, stability and security of our server environment, continuous integration deployments.
- Ongoing Property Maintenance
- Application and DevOps Integration
- Security Compliance and Reviews
- Architecture and Systems Design
○ Partner with Director, Development Operations & Systems to collaboratively perform ongoing operational duties
○ Configuration management
○ Perform and support frequent continuous integration dev, qa, uat and production deployments
○ Help maintain and improve our CI and CD pipelines
○ Perform code reviews
○ Ensure compliance with security standards that Application Development Department follows by helping perform security audits and remediations on a weekly basis, or as new vulnerabilities are found, perform regular updates to server infrastructure during scheduled off hours maintenance windows
○ Help manage security access controls
○ Help maintain internal DNS, NTP, SMTP, SNMP, Logging services
○ Assist with updates to logging systems, ensure logs are being captured in the central logging repository
○ Help implement proactive security measures
○ Co-Develop and implement in house alternative solutions to expensive outsourced vendors
○ Document and develop server architecture diagrams on an ongoing basis
○ Provide cost effective server solutions (Cloud and Hardware)
○ Proactively identify areas to drive automation and automate everyday tasks
- Development Operations Engineer works under the supervision of the Director, Development Operations & Systems, and closely collaborates with team members and other internal departments and external partner vendors, and contractors. Collaborate with internal and external vendor partner developers, information security, legal, and product stakeholders to ensure applications adhere to our Secure Software Development Life Cycle (SSDLC) procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Experience using configuration management tools such as SaltStack
- Experience using Jenkins, Travis, Github and other related continuous integration tools
- Experience setting up Docker containers
- Experience in Rancher, Kubernetes
- Strong Unix/Linux System Administration skills
- AWS Administration skills
- Knowledge of web, proxy, load balancers and caching servers (such as Memcached, Redis)
- PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Nginx, Haproxy, Git
- Nessus, NexPose, Splunk, LogStash, Terraform
- Knowledge of Python and Bash required
- Knowledge of PHP, C and other languages like Ruby, or Perl a plus
- Knowledge of cybersecurity standards
- Strong problem solving skills are required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Related Skills or Knowledge:
- You are a compelling and clear communicator who networks well with your peers to understand their product and technology requirements while also representing your own.
- You are able to estimate work and meet deadlines
- Experience working within a team environment
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- Occasional, as needed
Starting Salary: 120k
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work with environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer