Vice President, Abortion Access, CAPS
Office of the Executive Vice President, Health Care (HCD) – CAPS /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood has the highest standards of professional care, with medical standards and guidelines that are developed by the nation’s leading physicians and advanced practice clinicians and informed by professional and scientific organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. PPFA has an opportunity for a Vice President of Abortion Access. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Health Care the chosen candidate will be responsible for leading The Consortium of Abortion Providers (CAPS) and ensuring access to high-quality abortion care by working with Planned Parenthood affiliates and health centers to start or expand the provision of abortion services through training, consultation, and assistance in numerous areas of abortion care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic direction to the CAPS department that is focused on delivering operational, clinical, and legislative support and programs related to the provision of abortion services to the affiliates
- Identify, implement and lead opportunities and programs to ensure a collaborative and strong national coalition with independent abortion providers
- Lead the identification and development of special projects and programs focused on supporting affiliates’ provision of abortion care that is aligned with Federation strategic plan.
- Identify and foster key relationships and partnerships with private funders, and donors in partnership with the PPFA Development department.
- Lead PPFA work to expand equitable access to abortion through core and programmatic opportunities in clinical operations and service delivery.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams and coalition partners, develop proactive strategies to prevent and/or mitigate the impact of abortion legislation on all providers and to lessen the burden for those seeking abortion services as well as providers offering abortion services to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse communities.
- Provide thought leadership to PPFA and affiliates on trends and insights on abortion care that are in line with PPFA’s long term strategic goals.
- Promote and provide leadership and foster collaboration on strategic efforts between affiliate leadership and among departments within the national office.
- Provide guidance, expertise and support to affiliate staff, including CEO’s, COO’s, board of directors, medical directors, and patient services directors; cross divisional national staff and external partners around a wide variety of abortion related issues including service delivery, service expansion, litigation, communications, and public policy.
- Participate in and contribute to the senior leadership team of the Health Care Division.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate a talented team of staff and consultants to ensure CAPS has the in-house capability to steward and lead equitable abortion access initiatives on behalf of PPFA.
- Oversee CAPS work focused on technical assistance and education for abortion service delivery, including the development of resources for abortion training, education, service delivery and operations.
- Identify opportunities for additional donor/ funder support for abortion equity in partnership with the Development department, prepare and/or contribute to grant proposals for funding, and work closely with the PPFA Development department and foundation donors, including collaborative planning, reporting, and evaluation as required to fund all CAPS related core programs and projects.
- Provide leadership and oversight for programs that support financial assistance to patients-in-need.
- Ensure the CAPS team design, implement and maintain necessary on-site, e-learning and remote training as needed by affiliates.
- Ensure periodic evaluation and surveys on programs and abortion practices to ensure strategic investments and decision making is made in furtherance of equitable abortion access.
- Organize and facilitate regular educational events and stakeholder meetings for PPFA staff, affiliate leadership & staff, and appropriate external partners.
REQUIREMENTS /TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 10+ years of progressive management experience in a healthcare setting – abortion services and sexual reproductive health care required.
- Advanced degree is preferred and is not required.
- Demonstrated experience in program development and implementation of complex, high impact national initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience with donors and funders to ensure ongoing program support.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Compelling communicator and presenter able to present complex ideas in a succinct and powerful manner with the ability to demonstrate cultural competence in speaking within or with multiple cultural environments.
- Tireless advocate for the needs of people seeking, receiving and providing abortion care - patients and providers.
- Able to facilitate and lead challenging discussions with varied audiences and constituencies.
- Unflappable with excellent interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated ability to build strong and effective partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Possess strong professional integrity and the ability to effectively represent and promote Planned Parenthood externally at the highest levels and internally as a senior leader in service to our mission and shared values.
- Ability to manage staff who are geographically dispersed with excellent communication skills and ability to build virtual teams.
- Seasoned collaborator—able to work effectively across multiple divisions internally, soliciting feedback and input from significant stakeholder groups nationally.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias on underserved and underrepresented communities and the ability to apply and embed equity into the CAPS work.
- Approximately 50% domestic travel
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.