Associate Director, Standards of Excellence Transformation Lead
Health Care – Health Care Strategy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Stronger is a group of 31 regional Planned Parenthood affiliates, representing 30 states and Washington, D.C., who came together to focus on strengthening affiliate performance in a way that would be truly transformational and facilitate innovation needed to build the Planned Parenthood of the future.
One of the initiatives the group of Stronger affiliates has identified as a high priority is the development of a set of financial, operational, and healthcare quality standards of excellence and associated supports to achieve them. Stronger seeks a Transformation Lead to lead the effort to define the standards of excellence measures, support affiliate adoption of these measures and facilitate change management, and develop and tailor the necessary supports for achieving measure benchmarks. This position is housed in the Stronger Change Office and will report to the Stronger Change Office Director.
Specifically, the Stronger Transformation Lead will manage initiatives aimed at improving clinical, operational, and financial outcomes across Stronger affiliates. The Transformation Lead’s primary functions are to:
a) Support the design, development, and implementation of quality improvement initiatives.
b) Coordinate with the Stronger Change Office, PPFA National Office, and PP affiliates to identify and define appropriate performance metrics and supports.
c) Coordinate with data analysts and teams at the National Office and Affiliates to track performance metric results for continuous quality improvement purposes.
The Transformation Lead will work with diverse staff across the country to create and adhere to project plans to accomplish these goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Work with Stronger Change Office and Affiliate staff to design clinical, operational, and financial improvement initiatives in conjunction with a variety of interdisciplinary teams, including but not limited to: Physicians, Nurses, Administrators, Analysts, Informaticists.
- Build consensus among key players.
- Leverage standard quality tools, sometimes in collaboration with other ancillary departments, such as: Cause and Effect Diagrams, Key Driver Diagrams, Flowcharts, Pareto Charts, PDSA Cycles, and Run Charts/Control Charts.
- Ensure alignment with industry standards related to quality improvement in community health centers.
- Curate best practices (across affiliates and industry) and manage center of excellence.
- Data team management.
- Best practice team management.
- Training team/contract management.
- Work with Stronger Change Office and Affiliate staff to design and execute quality improvement projects.
- Establish tools and processes to measure, track, and report transformation metrics for the Stronger Change Office and Stronger Project Initiatives.
- Support Stronger Change Office team in preparing progress reports and updates for communications to Stronger and PPFA stakeholders.
- Manage complex project activities including the day-to-day operational and tactical work.
- Identify and mitigate risks that can potentially impact the project, escalating risks appropriately and defining best practices for proactively managing them in the future.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders, technical staff, and senior management.
- Manage the entire project lifecycle from project inception to implementation and ongoing maintenance.
- Utilize online collaboration and project management software, as required.
- Collaborate with the Stronger Change Office, National Office REDA (Research, Evaluation, and Data Analytics), and other relevant Affiliate and National Office Teams to measure development, analysis, and report generation processes.
- Oversee the transformation of affiliate data systems and electronic health record (EHR) systems to standardize measurements across affiliates and implement changes to current measurement practices.
- Ensure that reporting needs of assigned projects are efficient and effective.
- Confident user of data analytics and drawing data-driven conclusions to direct project decision making.
- Skills in applying improvement methodologies (e.g. IHI-Model for Improvement)preferred.
- Experience coaching teams and using change management to drive results preferred.
- Comfortable working with a distributed team, including telecommuters across the U.S.
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values of Stronger and PPFA and work with others across geographies and socio-political contexts in a culturally competent way.
- This role may supervise others.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of professional experience working in healthcare quality improvement.
- Prior project management experience required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint required.
- Experience or knowledge of health care required.
- Experience with healthcare data systems and EHR systems required.
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills.
- Experience working with a racial equity and gender equity lens to identify and counteract potential discrepancies based on those factors preferred.
- Clear and compelling communicator (written, spoken,presentation).
- Ability to recognize and respond to problems with potential solutions in a highly professional, confidential, and sensitive manner.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Self-directed and can work alone or in a team.
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborative work style. Able to work effectively with diverse stakeholders both internally and externally, remote and in-person.
- Able to handle multiple, concurrent projects. Demonstrated ability to work in a complex, fast-paced work environment.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; able to create clarity and understanding and field questions with minimal oversight.
- Strong customer service orientation and skills.
- Familiarity and experience working with the diverse communities Planned Parenthood serves, including an appreciation for the assets of each community and understanding of the institutional barriers to health care that currently exist.
- Strong commitment to Planned Parenthood mission.
- Stronger is open to a remote candidate for this position. Due to the need to engage stakeholders, the Transformation Lead will be expected to spend 25-50% of time traveling to meet with Stronger affiliates and other key stakeholders.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.