Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective bilingual Media Assistant, who will be responsible for providing administrative support for all media team activities, monitoring media coverage of relevant news and issues, and maintaining press lists
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors media inquiry phone line and email inbox, distributes media requests to appropriate staff and ensures that incoming requests are followed up on.
- Helps track, compile and circulate media coverage in English and in Spanish to appropriate staff in real time.
- Compiles news clips into comprehensive daily summaries.
- Helps develop and maintain media lists and distributes press releases and other press materials through software systems and manually.
- Posts media material to Planned Parenthood website(s) and maintains news section of websites.
- Monitors and updates daily various online resource management tools.
- Helps to manage translation services.
- Tracks and produces reports on media relations activities.
- Conducts research tasks on a variety of health, political, and legal subjects as assigned and required for use in developing media materials.
- Drafts media briefing memos to prepare staff for interviews and events.
- Schedules and coordinates conference call logistics and agendas for both internal calls and external calls with members of the media.
- Processes expense reports, reconciles department invoices, pay orders, and purchases.
- Coordinates and books staff travel logistics for team.
- Organizes paper and electronic files.
- Drafts media and press materials as needed.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Excellent writing, organizational, and customer service skills
- At least 1 year of media relations, customer service, or work experience preferred.
- Interest in and/or familiarity with news media landscape strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of reproductive health and rights issues preferred but not required.
- Detail-oriented in a fast-paced multi-task environment. Quick to learn new systems and protocol.
- Great at troubleshooting and finding innovative ways to solve problems.
- Both a self-starter and receptive to quick direction.
- Possibility of writing media materials depending on skill sets.
- Flexibility to work occasional night and/or weekend hours.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a diverse workforce, and sensitivity to and
- appreciation of cultural differences is required.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Experience with copy editing is preferred but not required.
- Confident with technological skills; working knowledge of Gmail, Google Documents, Google Drive, and Google Calendar.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.