New York, NY /
Office of the EVP & Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Finance /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seek a dynamic and effective Accounting Manager. This job reports to the Controller in the Finance Department of PPFA. The Finance Department provides confidence to all stakeholders in the fiscal and fiduciary responsibility of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) and its related entities, and Planned Parenthood Global (PP Global) and its related entities (collectively the Organizations) with a commitment to customer service, sound controls, compliance monitoring, and timely, accurate, and complete reporting, analysis and decision support to further the Federation’s mission.
- The Accounting Manager is responsible for oversight of day-to-day operations of accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, analysis, reconciliations, recording transactions and maintaining the general ledger account areas relating to accounts payable and receivable processing of PPFA and related entities. The tasks of this role include: periodically adapting our policies and procedures to meet our internal customers’ demands; partner with other members in Finance to develop processes that optimize our work; work as a member of the Finance team with Division coordinators to ensure an accurate, timely and complete activity recording and analysis;play an integral role in the monthly closing, year end closing and audit preparation process; work in all of PPFA's financial applications as needed including the general ledger and reporting system; assist in producing financial monthly reports and needed account/data analysis; support the Finance division and program divisions in their analysis of actual results;participate in special projects as requested, to provide financial analysis and project management within Finance and across divisions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all systems used by the Finance Division, including but not limited to Sage X3, Sage Enterprise Intelligence (reporting), CashPro and banking payment systems (ACH) and any new system implemented by the organization. Ensures the effective and efficient use of such systems and participates in analyzing, designing, and implementing systems and process improvements.
- Supervises and oversees a team responsible for general ledger accounting, including Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions.
- Manages the day-to-day procurement and accounts payable functions to ensure timely, accurate, and complete financial information for management, divisions and the organization boards.
- Experience in leading staff through change management.
- Ensures accurate and timely bill and expense payments and provides accounting detail commensurate with budget monitoring and other informational needs.
- Provides customer support to PPFA staff and vendors in relation with Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions.
- Prepares entries as needed to close or reconcile accounts each month and submit for review.
- Reviews and approves high-value Accounts Payable transactions prior to payment
- Reviews payments for accuracy prior to release from the bank
- Reviews reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including prepaid, fixed asset rollforward, accrual, and expense accounts to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Adapts and organizes the Accounts Payable function to a new procure to pay system including active participation in system and process design, significant input during system testing, supporting the training and rollout of the procure to pay system across the organization (user training and support), and support for implementation. Once implemented, provides ongoing support for further refinement and streamlining of the procure to pay system.
- Manages implementation of ACH system and processes including interfacing with the bank, Sage system support, spearheading database maintenance in Sage for ACH details, completes testing with Bank of America, trains users. Once implemented, provides ongoing support for further refinement and streamlining of payment systems to eliminate manual checks and move to electronic processing.
- Manages yearly filing of 1099 and 1042 forms.
- Manages resolution for stale checks, responsible for filing of unclaimed property with states.
- Performs or coordinates short- and long-term special projects for the Controller and Chief Financial Officer.
- Assists the Controller and Assistant Controller in planning the year-end audit and coordinating the data gathering required for fiscal year-end external auditors to ensure the accurate and timely performance of year-end account analysis. Ensures analyses required for the audit are kept current during the year. Assists the Controller with: adjusting and performing special audit journal entries; conducting audit preparation projects; responding to auditor’s requests for information and inquiries.
- Provides Accounting training to new hires and guidance to budget staff.
- Performs complex account analyses and reconciliations as assigned or needed.
- Serves as back-up for Senior Director of Treasury in the oversight of the daily check deposit.
- Documents and/or reviews all policies and procedures followed in the performance of the job and staff reporting to the position in order to maintain Accounting Manual current. Ensures that staff follows all procedures in the manual, recommending changes and updates for consideration by the Controller.
- Works closely with staff and supports partners to identify, define, and implement systems and process improvements for the Finance department and reduce manual and paper-based processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by management.
- Externally: This role works closely with the organization’s external independent auditors and other auditors, and consultants for specific projects. Internally: This role works closely with finance leadership, development staff and financial operations and management staff throughout the organization to secure collaboration and agreement on key projects that benefit the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Finance desired.
- 3-5 years of directly related management experience.
- Advanced skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
- Great attention to details required.
- Experience in not-for-profit accounting and knowledge of not-for-profit operations and systems preferred.
- Great interpersonal skills, excellent work ethics.
- Able to convey accounting information in easy to understand terms.
- Demonstrated skills in problem resolution.
- Must be able to work independently and manage multiple priorities at once.
- Excellent customer service required.
- Work well in a multi-cultural environment and is sensitive to diversity.
- Must be a team player helping the department achieve all major projects.
Starting Salary: 75K
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer