Lead Software Engineer, Application Architecture
New York, NY
Operations – Information Technology
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Lead Software Engineer, Application Architecture. This role is responsible for leading the engineering work on PPFA’s digital products and other software engineering initiatives, ensuring high quality and secure web application development practices. Lead Engineer partners closely with digital products, software engineering, development operations and information security teams to ensure business needs are clearly understood and the technology implemented meets the expectations of the business stakeholders, as well as that PPFA application security and development standards are considered and met throughout the software design, development, and maintenance process. This job reports to the Sr. Director of Application Development & Systems Integration in the Application Development & Systems Integration of PPFA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define application architecture design for new products, guide technical implementation strategy in line with existing application architecture for new features on existing products, make other relevant technical decisions on new and current products and their launches / releases.
- Provide technical leadership across multiple development teams.
- Contribute to and ensure that business requirements, design specifications, technical specifications, user stories, and bug tickets are adequate and accurate.
- Ensure timely project execution. Identify new opportunities and technologies to ensure the effectiveness of our application development solutions, vendors, teams, and convince technical resources and business stakeholders to adopt those technology solutions.
- Help develop and maintain a powerful long-term technical vision and help the teams set pragmatic goals to meet it.
- Promote Application Development Secure SDLC Program and work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all products are implemented in line with SSDLC Program and strategic IT Application Development technical objectives.
- Provide reviews of applications from an Information Technology / Application Development perspective and be able to identify flags related to security and legal risks.
- Participate in interviewing and screening candidates and potential vendors for the Application Development team and adjacent teams, assist in interviewing for technical roles outside of Application Development.
- Work with development operations engineers in carrying out releases through our SSDLC to production.
- Be a resource to others in the organization for technical guidance as it directly relates to the Application Development team and their work.
- Emergency response as needed.
- Data analytics reporting.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5 years of relative experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Python, Django & Django CMS required.
- Knowledge of other languages and frameworks like Node.js, Ruby, PHP or Perl a plus.
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, React, Vue.js, or equivalent.
- Experience in implementing software development quality guidelines, standards and procedures.
- Experience implementing various web application architectures, APIs, and Content Management Systems, Python (Django, Wagtail, Flask, Tornado) or equivalent preferred.
- Proficient in Linux shell scripting & CLI, Nginx web servers, Rancher, Docker, Docker-Compose, and Docker CLI.
- Strong version control experience with Git, Github, Continuous Integration (Jenkins), and the full product development lifecycle. Experience in designing database schemas and models - PostgreSQL, MySQL.
- Experience in Team-Based Development (Scrum, Agile) and related tools.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- You are a compelling and clear communicator who networks well with business stakeholders to understand their product requirements.
- Must be well organized, and able to organize work.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.