Senior Copy Editor
New York, NY /
Office of Senior Vice President, Communications & Culture (CNC) – Brand & Culture Strategy /
Full Time - Union
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable sexual and reproductive health care for all people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 600 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect, and without judgment, striving to create equitable access to health care. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable education and information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that supports the independently incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates operating health centers across the U.S. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational, advocacy, and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks a meticulous copy editor, skilled fact checker, and brand-centric content leader to guide, develop and safeguard the Planned Parenthood brand editorial strategy as Senior Copy Editor. This job reports to the Director, Editorial Services and Strategy on the Brand and Culture team of the Communications and Culture Division of PPFA.
● Manage and protect factual integrity of all federation content by overseeing the review of print, online, and video materials — including, but not limited to, rapid response work streams
● Ensure the brand expression of the federation's content is culturally competent, correct, and consistent with Planned Parenthood brand strategy — always with an eye toward expanding brand awareness in both new and existing audiences
● Identify and develop the research, creation, maintenance, and implementation of all Editorial stat models/tools — in response to needs of the organization — to support and elevate the integrity of Planned Parenthood content; e.g. the Fact Finder, Fact Sheets, Annual Report statistics, and more
● Provide strategic guidance throughout the federation on accuracy and messaging that advances PP brand integrity
● Collaborate with stakeholders across the federation to track and update factual nuances to align with policy, political, and legal shifts
● Review and analyze large volumes of content and materials, including rapid response, created by staff throughout the organization; and advise stakeholders on content development
● Edit for accuracy, clarity brand expression, consistency, and optimal engagement in a myriad of materials including press releases, scripts, social media posts, fundraising correspondence and more Engagement: This factor is about the interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service, seek collaboration and build effective partnerships.
● Liaise across divisions, including legal and policy teams, to efficiently implement the strategic narratives and storytelling goals and objectives for federation initiatives
● Work closely with the Editorial Director to develop and socialize tools and resources that expand and elevate content creation throughout the national office and affiliate network
● Manage Editorial Team's relationships with policy and data stakeholders throughout the federation, and proactively collect up-to-date insight on major federation work streams
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs): .
● Five years experience in copy editing and journalism
● Strong background and/or interest in sexual and reproductive health care is preferred
● Proven track record managing multiple projects at once
● Comfortable in a rapid-response environment that will sometimes require work outside normal business hours — as news, elections, and other events dictate
● Strategic thinker with exceptional verbal and written communications skills
● Collaborative consensus builder
● Brand-centric thinker with a keen eye for creative solutions to bottlenecks, miscues, and routine flare-ups
● Deeply committed to health and racial equity
● Passion for reproductive rights
● Possesses a positive, solutions-oriented "We Jump In"
TRAVEL : 0-20% Travel required
Salary range: $79,000-84,000/year
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Beginning in February 2023, all roles denoted as NYC, DC, or both, will be on a hybrid schedule, requiring 2-3 days per week in-office.